Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L60 tailshaft Bushing Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60 tailshaft Bushing Question

Hello,

I have a 90 chevy C1500 with the 4L60 transmission. My question is, does the tailshaft bushing have to be indexed or aligned in any exact way? I have been told some bushings have to be indexed with the oil flow path which is news to me.

Thank You
Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No not on a 4l60e. However I normally will install the seam of the bushing somewhere around 12 oclock in the housing. HTH Vince
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vince B
No not on a 4l60e. However I normally will install the seam of the bushing somewhere around 12 oclock in the housing. HTH Vince

Thanks Vince,

could I ask why the seam at 12o'clock? Also, its the 4L60 not the "E" (electronic) I know they are the same except for a few differences like the ECM control, speedo etc. Any opinions as to installing dry vs. locktite or even ATF to lube the bushing? I will be driving it in.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM

I install the seam in this location because the bushing is stationary. I find that most of the wear happens towards the bottom so I want to keep the seam away from the wear area. I do this same thing on pump bushings as well. As far as the 4l60(700R4) and 4l60e the bushing is the same and so are the housing in some models. So with that being said its a same to me! I honestly never use any lock tight on these bushings and never have an issue with them walking. It wont hurt but not something I practice. If you want to lube the bushing that will not hurt. I personally never pound bushings in with a driver. I always use a press but thats just me. HTH Vince
Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 AM

Thanks Vince,

I would prefer pressing the bushing in also but do not have that option here. I pulled the bushing with the tail housing on and do not have access to a press. I don't think lube or loctite is necessary either. I was not clear on the ATF, someone told me they use it to lube the bushings outside for driving easier, again, probably not necessary.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:38 AM

Please excuse me here are you talking about the housing seal or the bushing? I have never seen nor have I remove the bushing in the housing while its on the trans!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 PM

I am talking about the bushing. I use a extension housing bushing puller which is a special tool that also can install the bushing (by driving) in addition it doubles as a support tool. Works great, I have used it several times on the older THM's but until now, never on a 4L60 which prompted my question about bushing indexing or positioning on this trans. The tool has a collet which expands by inserting the correct size sleeve. The collets fingers grip the front edge of the installed bushing and a threaded bolt with a cone on its end then contacts the very front of the output shaft. Tightening the bolt pulls the bushing strait out. Thanks again for the info and the tip on positioning the seam away from the bottom.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Ok I know what your talking about. I have used one for some old TF's in the past and they work well for the bushing on the 2wd 46re transmissions. Good luck with the install. Vince
Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 PM

Finished up today, everything went smooth. No more "clunk" I put the seam at 12'o clock. Feel stupid for never thinking of that myself
Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2024, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by alachevy
Finished up today, everything went smooth. No more "clunk" I put the seam at 12'o clock. Feel stupid for never thinking of that myself
Thanks again!
Can you tell me where you found your bushing tool? All I'm finding is one for a T-5. I'm guessing that's different.

Quick Reply: 4L60 tailshaft Bushing Question