PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Transmission recommendations (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/transmission-recommendations-538300/)

CammedZ71 06-23-2015 10:06 AM

Transmission recommendations

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4. I am currently doing an LQ9 swap and will be in the 500 - 530 hp range (flywheel). I am using the truck for a fun weekend truck/light towing. Light towing meaning an aluminum car trailer with a few 4wheelers on it. I have the original trans with 150k on it and its the 4L65E I believe and I know the trans won't hold up as soon as this swap is complete so I just want to do it now and be done with it. I do not want to do the 4L80E swap either. I don't have time to do the fabrication. What companies do you recommend or should I stay away from? I am looking to spend between $2k - $3k with everything, torque converter and cooler included. I was looking at the trans from texas speed with a 2600 stall. Anyone have any experience? It should work with the transfer case, correct?

outlawz2004 06-23-2015 01:11 PM

Robert Godfrey aka Transbuilderguy built me a hell of a trans with a warranty and for a great price.

CammedZ71 06-23-2015 01:13 PM

Where is he located? Does he offer a warranty? Did he use your original trans?

Originally Posted by outlawz2004 (Post 5297830)
Robert Godfrey aka Transbuilderguy built me a hell of a trans with a warranty and for a great price.

gamble686 06-23-2015 02:10 PM

For a 4L65e Godfry is pretty much as good as they come.
Question though....
Why do you think the fabrication will be so rough on the 80e? Dirttrackracer makes a bolton crossmember. Beyond that there isn't any serious fabrication. It would be easy to stay under budget with a proper torque converter and a mild 80e.
Best budget trans cooler is the stock ford excursion cooler.

CammedZ71 06-23-2015 02:15 PM

It's not a ton of fabrication but I just don't have the time right now to be doing this swap. Getting a new driveshaft, the harness, the tuning. I am a little crunched for time. The truck has been down since November and I bought an 04 Mercury Marauder to drive while I fixed the truck. Well I made 3 payments on the Marauder and a girl on her cell phone blew the red light and totaled the car. So I am borrowing a car at the moment and don't want to tie it up too long. I have never done the swap but I have researched it plenty and I am just not prepared to do the swap at this point in time with everything else going on.

Originally Posted by gamble686 (Post 5297838)
For a 4L65e Godfry is pretty much as good as they come.
Question though....
Why do you think the fabrication will be so rough on the 80e? Dirttrackracer makes a bolton crossmember. Beyond that there isn't any serious fabrication. It would be easy to stay under budget with a proper torque converter and a mild 80e.

Bluecollar Hotrods 06-23-2015 02:56 PM

No driveshaft needed for my 80E swap, I had to get a different yoke and used Tyler's crossmember. I was stressed about it leading up to the swap. Afterwards, wondered why I worried so much about it. 80Es are damn near bomb proof in stock form.

outlawz2004 06-23-2015 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CammedZ71 (Post 5297831)
Where is he located? Does he offer a warranty? Did he use your original trans?

He was in Florida, I assume he is still there. He gives a warranty, and I was still using my truck so I paid the core charge for another trans case, but he can build yours too. Got a bada$$ trans that shifted so good, great price and warranty and a new convertor. Transbuilderguy.com or hit him up on facebook

03sierraslt 06-23-2015 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 86 IROC (Post 5297853)
No driveshaft needed for my 80E swap, I had to get a different yoke and used Tyler's crossmember. I was stressed about it leading up to the swap. Afterwards, wondered why I worried so much about it. 80Es are damn near bomb proof in stock form.

That works on a 2wd but not a 4wd.

CammedZ71 06-25-2015 08:44 AM

Yea I'm assuming a little more work with 4wd.

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt (Post 5297859)
That works on a 2wd but not a 4wd.