PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Transmission noise when cold ? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/transmission-noise-when-cold-410503/)

KySilverado 01-28-2008 04:52 PM

Transmission noise when cold ?

Guys,
I recently installed a 4l65E. Bought from a salvage yard. Told had 25K miles on it. Before I installed it I put in a Transgo HD2 kit, corvette 2nd servo and Sonnax 4th super servo. While in it I found nothing to say that it wasn't a low mile transmission. Very clean and normal gunk in the pan.

It drives fine. Shifts good, no issue with drive ability.

When I first start it in the morning when cold and until the trans temp gauge starts to move say around 100* it makes an awful whine, scrub, chirp kinda noise. Normal and quite once warm. It dripped a small amount of fluid out of the bellhousing after I first put it in. Maybe some fluid made it out of the TC when I installed it or maybe the front seal... but nothing now. I suspect something with the pump? Any experience with this type issue out there?

TIA for any input.

performabuilt 01-28-2008 05:20 PM

I would say a scrubbing noise would be more likley to come from the converter than the pump

95ImpSS 01-28-2008 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by performabuilt (Post 3836150)
I would say a scrubbing noise would be more likley to come from the converter than the pump

Elaborate, please. :confused: What would make you say that, and why would he experience such a noise from the converter. Not asking for a 100% accurate diagnosis, but moreso potential causes of such. :thumb:

KySilverado 01-28-2008 06:18 PM

I did put the PI converter back in. Back from a re-stall. I've blamed noise, and slip on their converter in the past but it wound up being something else both times.

performabuilt 01-28-2008 06:31 PM

Well possibly theres some issue with the converter cluctch or one of the fines are making contact where they shouldnt and as it warms its moves away. As for the pump I cant really think of much way for it to make a noticable scrubbing noise , Its small and encased. The trans itself internally can be eliminated simply by pulling in to gear with brake applied if noise continues then its not there. Of course this is based on the description of the noise being acurate. Posible caused of converter noise that may not be the converter could also be worn out holes for te dowel pins in the bell causing slight converter miss alignment.
At the same time the chirp noise could be a cracked flex plate,
I am just giving general ideas sine I cant hear the sound

1-whine- This could be the pump if low on fluid or pulling air
2- scrub would have to think converter though a converter thats full of air can make a scrub sound so number one fits in.
3- chirp - loose or wrong converter bolts maybe .

Hope this helps a little . Noises are the worst to diagnois over the internet . I would try adding a little more fluild and see what that does if it were me. maybe 1/4 quart to 1/2

Bill Reid 01-28-2008 07:55 PM

Did you purchase the transmission with the bellhousing on it? Maybe bellhousing to transmission bolt backing out? Maybe pump bolt backing out? Maybe torque convertor bolt backing out?

Hope its nothing serious...

Bill :)

KySilverado 01-28-2008 08:44 PM

Thanks for the input guys. No bells ringing.
TCI flexplate - not changed. No noise before the transmission change.
Flexplate bolts - A set I've used with previous stock converter and the PI before. They are tight with loctite on them. It made the noise the very first time I started it. No time for them to loosen. Bell housing was on the transmisson when I got it. It had a ding on the face of it that I beat and filed down to get it flat for mounting. The transmission seem to fit snug on the locators when I put it in. The bolts lined up perfectly.

Yeah noises are hard...Trying to get a recording.....

KySilverado 01-28-2008 09:05 PM

Here is a recording. Not as cold tonight. Didn't really start off with the pronounced whine. More of scrub I would say. Anyway it sounds terrible and would go away once it warmed up a bit. Didn't change when in gear.

Right click - save as
http://home.roadrunner.com/~roger.hu..._11h16m06s.wav

KySilverado 01-28-2008 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Reid (Post 3836284)
Did you purchase the transmission with the bellhousing on it? Maybe bellhousing to transmission bolt backing out? Maybe pump bolt backing out? Maybe torque convertor bolt backing out?

Hope its nothing serious...

Bill :)

Yeah hope its nothing serious but really don't care at this point. I'm numb to it. So tired of working on this dang truck. I'm just gonna drive it. It is a "spare" transmission. Long as it lets me drive it from time to time until I can get the FLT freshened its done its job. If it goes bang along the way I hope its near a large cliff. Just push it over it and report it stolen. :bomb:

KySilverado 04-01-2008 07:05 PM

I like to follow-up with my posts when I find the culprits.

While I was pinning my crank today I spun the flywheel around to look at things. I noticed the the TC bolts had some scrub marks on them. Took a look at the dust cover that goes around the starter and sure enough the TC bolts had been rubbing it. When I put it back together I made sure to get it tucked in tight to the block. No more noise.