PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Trailblazer SS ear axle? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/trailblazer-ss-ear-axle-390885/)

whitt1 04-18-2007 06:49 PM

Trailblazer SS ear axle?

Will a TrailblazerSS rear end fit a Tahoe?It's a 9 1/2"14 bolt w/posi and 6 lug hubs.Anybody have a part number?

TurboGibbs 04-18-2007 08:21 PM

Just a guess but i'd bet it is 4" or so too narrow.

v8 04-18-2007 08:33 PM

the bolt pattern is smaller compared to the silverado, but other than that I have know idea hehe.

whitt1 04-18-2007 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by v8
the bolt pattern is smaller compared to the silverado, but other than that I have know idea hehe.

Yeah,looks like it has a 6-5" pattern,that doesn't look good at all.I've been trying to find someone to build a rear end for the Tahoe with no luck.Currie said they couldn't do it and Strange doesn't have a wide enough axle housing.

James B. 04-19-2007 01:50 AM

Looks like your hunt for a solution is still on.
The only things making the SUV rear ends any different than a pickup rear end is the link suspension. It might be a good idea to take an SUV 10-bolt and create blueprints for it. Measure the width wheel to wheel, the spacing and angle of all the link brackets, shock mounts, sway bar mounts, the angle of the end flanges, etc. Once you have all that you can set up any rear end to attach to the factory parts. I'm still partial to the 10.5" 14-bolt just because it's such a beast, but the spindles on it really present a problem. On my truck I'd really like to have full-float 6x5.5" pattern hubs but that brake setup looks like a can of worms.
Currie can build a 9" Ford rear end with no mounting hardware on it since they use new tubes and housings anyway. You can order these for any width you need and with any kind of brakes. Once you've got it you can either cut the factory mounts off a 10-bolt and reuse them or fabricate new mounts. I think it would be easiest to zip off the factory brackets - especially if you have access to a plasma cutter. Unless you have two link-type 10-bolts sitting around, one to cut up and one to use as a template, getting those blueprints dead-on will be critical.
Sometimes I wish I had a machine shop or even more space at home, this sounds like a cool project.

Mr. Sandog 04-19-2007 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by whitt1
Yeah,looks like it has a 6-5" pattern,that doesn't look good at all.I've been trying to find someone to build a rear end for the Tahoe with no luck.Currie said they couldn't do it and Strange doesn't have a wide enough axle housing.

I'm glad you're on this whitt so next year when I do my forged 346 + KB 2.6L Tahoe it's all figured out. :drive: :jest:

Keith 04-19-2007 04:15 AM

Could the axles and rotors be redrilled to the 6x5.5" And if so, could you run the rear wheels with a different backspacing to compensate for the difference in track width?

TurboGibbs 04-19-2007 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by James B.
Once you've got it you can either cut the factory mounts off a 10-bolt and reuse them or fabricate new mounts. I think it would be easiest to zip off the factory brackets - especially if you have access to a plasma cutter. Unless you have two link-type 10-bolts sitting around, one to cut up and one to use as a template, getting those blueprints dead-on will be critical.

This is what i'd do personally (and have done) but I know everyone doesn't have the tools to do so.

silver-mod-o 04-19-2007 08:32 AM

get axkes for it and weld the brackets up... if its too narrow, thats all good too :devil: no need to cut it up to fit big tires under it... ;)