Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trailblazer converter into silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailblazer converter into silverado

Has any one went with this converter and is a good swap for the buck? Not looking for anything dramatic. I lost all my torque when I installed an ls6 cam into my 5.3 and now I'm wanting a converter before I get a tune. Also I've been hearing and reading bad things about wait4me tunes and just wondering who does a good tune and how big of a difference its gonna make for my truck. All I have done is the ls6 cam, yellow springs, cai, and exhaust. Any advice would be great.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the details on your truck...year, body style, details..
Old 01-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 ecsb 4/6 drop on 17s. 5.3 ls6 cam exhaust Cai pretty much it
Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for the converter off of a I6 Trailblazer
thats the one you want
which stalls up to around 2600. You sure you don't want a 3000 stall? They make some that are pretty tight and don't feel that bad. When and if you get the stall drive it normal and don't look your RPMs just accelerate like you normally would, after a while you'll forget its there.
Circle D ( Sponsor to the right)
makes badass converters with great service.
I would hate for you to spend $$$ on the I6 Converter then upgrade later
Do things right once And especially since you have a ECSB i think a 3000 is perfect!
A tune is a night and day difference and is the heart of everything, You can have a badass cam, CAI, converter, headers, Ext. if your tune isn't right you'll get spanked and be very disappointed.
A stock truck with a tune is like :O WOAH!

Last edited by kr1s; 01-17-2012 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Johnson (05-09-2023)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kr1s
thats the one you want
which stalls up to around 2600. You sure you don't want a 3000 stall? They make some that are pretty tight and don't feel that bad. When and if you get the stall drive it normal and don't look your RPMs just accelerate like you normally would, after a while you'll forget its there.
Do things right once And especially since you have a ECSB i think a 3000 is perfect!
A tune is a night and day difference and is the heart of everything, You can have a badass cam, CAI, converter, headers, Ext. if your tune isn't right you'll get spanked and be very disappointed.
Well said and thanks!!!

OP - I would be happy to spec you a converter. If you want to shoot me an Ask Chris form on my site I can go over the details and intended usage. There is no one size fits all, need to know what you want out of the truck.....

Chris
Old 11-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default i6 is a 4.2 straight six if anyone was like huh???

Originally Posted by kr1s
thats the one you want
My torque converter book shows 2002-2007 Trailblazer 4.2 (08-09 maybe the same and it is an old book). It has the same prefix part number as the 99-06 Silverado 5.3 the last digits are different maybe stall speed.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow talk about digging up an old thread.

They are in fact different. Soooo... you're saying part nunbers are different and it's not the same part? Imagine that.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:26 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are definitely different... Did one in my 03 Z71 and it was just enough to help it get out of the hole but not quirky for a close to stock truck and daily driver. Not sure if I would trust one behind anything with a lot of power due to potential heat issues but for a stock internal I liked the added rpms off the line.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Most people who do a TB converter come back later and put a proper stall in it anyways. If you're going to go through all the trouble of taking the stock torque converter out, might as well put a nice one back in it.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default This is what I was looking for some actual feedback from experience

Originally Posted by cheyenne383
They are definitely different... Did one in my 03 Z71 and it was just enough to help it get out of the hole but not quirky for a close to stock truck and daily driver. Not sure if I would trust one behind anything with a lot of power due to potential heat issues but for a stock internal I liked the added rpms off the line.
Thanks for the input, I am looking to add a few hundred rpms for off the line and less rpm drop during shifts. I also enjoy using parts that are readily available to me.
T

Quick Reply: trailblazer converter into silverado