Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Strange Rattle From Bell Housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Strange Rattle From Bell Housing

OK Guys, This one has muffler a muffler shop and trans shop pointing the finger towards each other.

I'm going to have the y-pipe pulled and inspected, and then the trans if need be.

You guys call it and see.......

I developed a rattle that is random and sounds rather nasty, can be heard in the cab at cruise, so I chocked the wheels, set the brake and got under there with her running, pulled the inspection plugs and listened.

When parked or at cruise, it will only do it at random. If from a slow roll you hit the brakes you can make it do it every time.

It sounds like a nut, bolt, or washer is randomly being tossed around by the flex plate or converter.

The cats are close by and putting a screwdriver to ear and on them says trans.

So it sits in line at the trans shop a week before he looks at it and he thinks its the starter. He replaces it and no change. He reversed that and called me to say its not the trans and he can't tell what it is.
He says he looked via te inspection plugs for a cracked FP or marks and such and is confident its not an issue in there.

I return $300.00 worth of Flex Plate and bolts to Summit.

The muffler shop was done first and he only listened and said that's not a cat, save your money.

I am not set up to pull them myself or I would. Arrrrghhhhh!!

The trans shop is a good shop. I was in shock when he said its not the trans and let me go free of charge.

So I called him back and setup an appointment to pull the Y-Pipe to shake rattle and roll it to make sure, and if not to pull the trans.

What do you guys think its going to be? Why can it be reproduced so easily when braking from a slow roll?
Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I'll PM you.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Without hearing the noise, what youre describing sounds like a loose totque converter bolt or maybe even a cracked flexplate, you cant always see the flexplate from the inspection hole in the bottom of the bellhousing....
Old 04-25-2016, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep anytime I have had that issue with that type of noise in the bell housing has always led to a cracked flex plate or loose torque converter bolt.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! Its been a year. I'm sorry guys I did not get back with the report of the cause.

Loose bell housing bolts that would slide forward as I slowed and tinkle on the converter. The converter was redone and the housing and bolts replaced.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow!!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Dang... I wouldnt have guessed that.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's crazy? Lack of torque? No loctite?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

No explanation. The builder is very reputable and the trans is perfect but everyone has one of those days. I turn wrenches for a living now and since 1983 and know how it can go.
He stood by it bending over backwards taking care of all expenses to correct and satisfy.
Thats a Circle D converter and even though just scratched up and ugly he had it refreshed by Circle D.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

It has been awhile since I removed a bellhousing on those. Don't believe they use loctite. Builder either didn't torque them down correctly of maybe he didn't have the correct torx plus socket and they backed off due to incorrect torque.

Either way glad it is solved.

Quick Reply: Strange Rattle From Bell Housing