PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Soft Ride (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/soft-ride-351023/)

erronisme 10-20-2005 08:55 PM

Stiffer Ride

I like the ride height but its way too soft in the front. I dont think that just changing the shocks will do. Is there a set of springs that wont drop the truck but will give a stiffer spring rate? Maybe the HD trucks?

I have 18's on mine and I dont see how I could lower the front 2 in, the wheels would hit the outer part of the fenders. 285/60 r18 116h

In the back I had planned on using 2" lowering shackels and adding some air shocks.
I am thinking that before I go trying to hunt down another set of springs I would try Edlebrock IAS shocks for the front.

erronisme 10-20-2005 10:00 PM

boooooo.....

No one likes newbies.....boooo

StrokerAce03 10-21-2005 12:27 AM

I don't know of anybody that makes stock height performance springs. Even with a 285/60 18 you can drop the front 2 in. and have plenty of clearance. I got 285/50 20's (a little over 31 in. tall) on mine and planning on a 2/4 in the future. Shocks will help the ride if you don't want to lower it. Edelbrock and Bilstein are 2 good ones that I know of. I've heard that Doetch Tech shocks are pretty good for the money, but I'm not sure if they offer them in a stock height application or not.

Btw, welcome to the board.

erronisme 10-24-2005 07:33 PM

Thanks....

Ive got some Edlebrock IAS shocks and some 2" shackles comming. Hopefully this will give me more of a sporty/ truck ride.

I measured the clearance between the tire and the fender and its less than 4 inches. I do some general dirt and gravel driving from time to time and I think that if I dropped the front 2" I would might hit the fender.

My s-10 dropped 2/3 hit the fender wells on some of the trails that I take, which is better than hitting the fender, but still bad.

erronisme 10-31-2005 09:59 PM

Shocks are on... havent tested it yet tho...

its too late and I am working 12 hr days

Maybe later this week I will have a chance to do the drop, but I think thats going to take a little more time because it looks like the hitch will have to come off or moved in order fot the shackle bolts to clear.

Mort 11-01-2005 08:06 AM

Hotchkiss makes a 2" lowering front spring and a sway bar kit. Check them out they will really firm up your ride and improve your handling if you go for their whole kit which gives you a 2/4 drop.

Hotchkiss

erronisme 11-01-2005 06:11 PM

Ok, I'm no dummie....but....

I had to use the bottle jack that came with the truck. I only have two 2 ton jack stands. The 2 ton floor jack is just about worthless because its so low, and even with blocks on it the jack is pretty weak. But it should be ok to use on holding up the rear end for the shackles.

I attempted to put the jack stands under the frame just about where the end of the cab is and the begining of the bed. This is about where the frame starts heading upward over the axle.

Of course the tires never picked up high enough for me to even start the project.

I am wondering where other people put the stands at? Do I just need some bigger stands or am I retarded and missed something?

02BlueStepside 11-01-2005 06:51 PM

More than likely you need bigger stands

erronisme 11-01-2005 07:12 PM

Im glad someone else said that, because I was starting to feel stupied. And after looking at everything I didnt think the stand were big enough either.

They are only 11" tall colapsed and 17" tall fully extended.

02BlueStepside 11-01-2005 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by erronisme
Im glad someone else said that, because I was starting to feel stupied. And after looking at everything I didnt think the stand were big enough either.

They are only 11" tall colapsed and 17" tall fully extended.

I just went out and measured the stands I use, and they are about 5" taller than the ones you are using, both collapsed and extended, and depending on what I am doing, they can be short at times.