Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

so on my way to get my lq4..... (trans guys please look here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default so on my way to get my lq4..... (trans guys please look here)

so my engine builder said my engine stuff was all ready to pick up so jumped in my truck (04 2wd 1500 4l80e swapped) headed out for the 40 mile run was on the highway for about 35 miles everthing was good trans temp right about 130ish got off the highway and taking off from a light i herd a whine? started to listen while accelerating it was whining but just cruising no whine if it was i couldn't hear it? drove for a few miles pulled over to check the fluids trans level is a little high (fixed a leaky coolant line guess i over filled it) got back in the truck put it in drive took about maybe around 5 seconds to get in gear put it in reverse again about 4 or 5 seconds so put it back in drive again around 5 seconds when i started to move it felt gritty for maybe 15ft then normal since i was 2.5 miles from my engine builder i chanced getting there trans shifted fine temp gauge was still about 130/135 degrees fluid does not smell burnt but it is a grayish color not solid can see threw it

so i called my son to bring my trailer when i jumped in it after it sitting for about an hour or so to put it on the trailer when i put it in drive it was normal no hesitation or anything got it off the still felt normal? its cold out around 27 degrees so it cooled off but never really was all that hot

i was not beating on it or any thing i was cruising 70-80mph on the high way

any ideas on whats wrong?

Last edited by stroker87; 01-09-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stroker87
so my engine builder said my engine stuff was all ready to pick up so jumped in my truck (04 2wd 1500 4l80e swapped) headed out for the 40 mile run was on the highway for about 35 miles everthing was good trans temp right about 130ish got off the highway and taking off from a light i herd a whine? started to listen while accelerating it was whining but just cruising no whine if it was i couldn't hear it? drove for a few miles pulled over to check the fluids trans level is a little high (fixed a leaky coolant line guess i over filled it) got back in the truck put it in drive took about maybe around 5 seconds to get in gear put it in reverse again about 4 or 5 seconds so put it back in drive again around 5 seconds when i started to move it felt gritty for maybe 15ft then normal since i was 2.5 miles from my engine builder i chanced getting there trans shifted fine temp gauge was still about 130/135 degrees fluid does not smell burnt but it is a grayish color not solid can see threw it

so i called my son to bring my trailer when i jumped in it after it sitting for about an hour or so to put it on the trailer when i put it in drive it was normal no hesitation or anything got it off the still felt normal? its cold out around 27 degrees so it cooled off but never really was all that hot

i was not beating on it or any thing i was cruising 70-80mph on the high way

any ideas on whats wrong?
There are numerous problems you could be having the one that stick in my head the most though is a clogged filter being it was making a pump whine sounds as though it was starving for fluid. When you stop all the material that's in the filter falls back into the pan and then it works normal until it fills up again. Could also be having an AFL valve issue which is very common and affects line pressure as well. Pull the pan and inspect the filter