Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Dropping a 4x4 - ‘99 GMC RCSB

Old 10-23-2020, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping a 4x4 - ‘99 GMC RCSB

So I recently sold my 2002 1500HD because I don’t need that much truck anymore. However, I still needed A truck, so I went out scouting and picked up a 1999 GMC Sierra SLE - Single Cab, Short Bed, 4x4, 4.3L V6. It’s a bit rough around the edges, but for $500 it was a hard one to pass up. There’s no helping the V6’s [severe lack of] performance, but I’d at least like to make it look a bit sportier.

Now, I’ve owned over a dozen Squarebody and OBS trucks, and lowered quite a few of them. They’re easy to do and the ride always comes out nice, however, this will be my first dropped 4x4. I’ve been doing some research and there seems to be two main complaints - terrible ride or incurring bump steer. I’m not willing to live with either, but I’m not seeing many of the solutions being posted, granted most of the threads I’ve found here and other forums are close to a decade old. I’m not looking for a serious drop either, either 2/4 or 4/6. I would also like it to sit level.

The combo I’m currently considering is 2” Belltech spindles, 2002 Chevy 2500 Duramax keys (off my parts truck) and a 4” rear shackle kit with the rear axle block removed, if the truck has one. Possibly a flip kit, but from what I’ve seen the back always ends up lower than the front, and I’d prefer not to notch the frame if possible.

Has there been any new components released in the last few years that I should be looking at instead? Any better riding combos, or ones that don’t create bump steer issues? Also, at what drop point is a frame notch required, as I’ve seen mixed feedback on this? It’ll never see any towing, but I do haul around the occasional engine, transmission, or 4 wheeler, so I’d like to be able to carry 5-600 LBS in the bed without creating issues.

What’s all out there?
Old 10-23-2020, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

The spindles are good and will give you a 2in front drop. You don't need torsion bars if you want to go only that low of course.

The rear with the shackle and lift block gone should be a 3in rear drop.

A standard flip kit with the correct shackle will be a 4in rear drop I believe and you don't need a notch. Going to like 6-7in would probably want to really consider that notch so you don't bottom out the frame so easy.

I did a 2/4 drop with spindles and hangers/shackles, it looked good on my single cab long bed.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

If you want to get rid of the torsion bars and go coilover.

https://atomicfabandperformance.com/

Atomic is active on here.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did Atomic’s coilovers, rear block removed, rear shackles. I like it. Good setup, if you’re not looking to go too low. I’d guess I’m slightly lower than a stock 2wd.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
The spindles are good and will give you a 2in front drop. You don't need torsion bars if you want to go only that low of course.

The rear with the shackle and lift block gone should be a 3in rear drop.

A standard flip kit with the correct shackle will be a 4in rear drop I believe and you don't need a notch. Going to like 6-7in would probably want to really consider that notch so you don't bottom out the frame so easy.

I did a 2/4 drop with spindles and hangers/shackles, it looked good on my single cab long bed.
Yeah, the current idea is to shackle/hanger the rear, and remove the block. The way I understand it, this would be a 6” overall drop, but equivalent to only a 4” drop on a 2WD. I’d be perfectly happy with that as it leaves me more clearance to the frame. Then, use 2” spindles up front, and the keys would really be there just to fine tune the level, not necessarily for more drop. The 2500 keys would be a bonus of having the bolts tucked into the crossmember over the stock keys.

Originally Posted by adriver
If you want to get rid of the torsion bars and go coilover.

https://atomicfabandperformance.com/

Atomic is active on here.
Originally Posted by TrevorH
I did Atomic’s coilovers, rear block removed, rear shackles. I like it. Good setup, if you’re not looking to go too low. I’d guess I’m slightly lower than a stock 2wd.
That’s a very nice setup, but I think (hoping) the torsions will serve me well in what I’m looking to do. Coilovers aren’t completely off the table though.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Alright, so I crawled underneath the truck last night to take a look at what’s underneath there. I do have the 2” block, so I can yard that out of there. However, I noticed my front spring hangers on the rear suspension are welded, not riveted. The hanger kits call out rivets, so what’s the deal here? Am I not able to do shackles and hangers on this truck? I really do not want to do a flip kit and C-notch.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

You're probably out of luck with the welded on hangers.

Remove the block and add the 2in drop shackles. See how it sits and go from there. Going to a drop leaf spring is the other option or removing one of the leafs.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I think that’s the route I’m going to take - remove the blocks and add 2” shackles, and do 2” spindles in the front and see what that gets me. That’s still a 2/4, although not equal to the 2WD 2/4. This should still make the truck sit level, correct? If so, I can probably live with that height. Leaf springs would probably be insane to ship to Alaska, plus I’m sure their capacity would be less than stock.