Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Selecting sway bar rate

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selecting sway bar rate

I need to order a sway bar, and I don't know where to start as far as rate goes. I need to know this to decide what length splined bar to go with, and whether the arms will reside inside or outside of my rear frame rails. Similar situation out front...

Is there a way to calculate a ballpark rate? Anyone have experience with what they have settled on? My truck is a '68 longbed (springs/truck arms), and I'm building it to autocross.

No Limit makes a rear bar with a rate of 240 -- I can use that as a basis but you never know what kind of thought has been put into an off the shelf product. The splined bar I'm looking at is .75" diameter, and I'd need a 6" arm to get the rate that high which just seems too short.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by xEtherealx; 08-12-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Did you read "So I autocrossed my truck today" yet?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Well... I hadn't, so I just spent 20 minutes reading the thread... and gained no insight into sway bar rates :/
Old 08-14-2017, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

post number 60
Old 08-14-2017, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Thanks but those are just purchasing options. I do like the Coleman offering! But I do know how to calculate the rate of a given bar and I'm really looking more for info on what baseline rate to start with -- I can then adjust around this by playing with the mounting location on the sway bar arm.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

oh, sorry. I never opened the link.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you actually called and discussed this with Rob @ No Limit?
That's what I would suggest you do. He doesn't just put "thought" into his products he does all of his R&D as well.
He also has a thread dedicated to autocross specifically for trucks. I've been trying to find it but don't remember the exact title of the thread.
You'll find some great info here
The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network - Powered by 67-72chevytrucks.com
Old 11-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tig
Have you actually called and discussed this with Rob @ No Limit?
That's what I would suggest you do. He doesn't just put "thought" into his products he does all of his R&D as well.
He also has a thread dedicated to autocross specifically for trucks. I've been trying to find it but don't remember the exact title of the thread.
You'll find some great info here
The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network - Powered by 67-72chevytrucks.com
No I haven't I've seen Rob contradict himself several times and so I've decided not to purchase anything from him.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by xEtherealx
No I haven't I've seen Rob contradict himself several times and so I've decided not to purchase anything from him.
Gotcha.

How about Ron Sutton? In fact, you should call him or e-mail him. He really is a suspension guru and knows his sh*t.

Here, go check him out. Ask for a catalog too, a ton of really nice suspension components and packages.
Ron Sutton Race Technology