PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   removed overloads with no anti-wrap device? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/removed-overloads-no-anti-wrap-device-440070/)

silver-mod-o 04-29-2009 07:54 PM

removed overloads with no anti-wrap device?

I'd go check your springs ASAP... I took the bed off my truck today to start on the notches and stripped all the coating and marked the cut lines and started pulling measurements for plate. I was gonna build my own.

I stopped for a second and looked down the spring and both sides looked like a 'W' from me not having the long bars for so long. It looks like it has broken the spring steel right in the middle over the axle. I've got to replace my springs and probably shocks, since one of them is busted from launching (pass rear)

So come to find out, after some good leaf springs, slim poly bump stops, and new shocks my launch may be taken care of with the long bars.

Rechecked my pinion angle and its moved from -3.5 to -2... Gonna reshim it after new springs back to -3.5.

Just FYI....

JoeGibbSilverado 04-29-2009 08:22 PM

ive been riding around now for a few days without em', i have been avoiding stomping it from a dig because i dont want to warp the springs, i tthink i might put those el' cheapo lakewood traction bars back on, they will help, a little, give the spring some support.

454navyss 04-29-2009 08:25 PM

do you need some springs Ben?

454navyss 04-29-2009 08:28 PM

your truck has about a 3/5 drop right? mine is around a 3/5 with 4" drop springs, 2" drop shackles, and aftermarket overloads which raise it about an inch. so do i need to shim my rear end to about the same as yours?

Mangled03gmc 04-29-2009 08:46 PM

I guess ima good to go since I got me bars on and no OL's in.. Pics of the truck when done :)

JoeGibbSilverado 04-29-2009 08:51 PM

ive got some -4 shims coming to me, will also hep with launching

silver-mod-o 04-29-2009 09:11 PM

I'm definitely gonna need some leafs Carey LOL. Mine are history.

I'd guess your shims would be within a degree or two of mine. I had my pinion angle where I wanted it too and now its moved.

I ran without overloads for a good while, I'm sure that's what smoked them haha

JoeGibbSilverado 04-29-2009 09:25 PM

i wonder if simple spring clamps put here and there would cure it from wrapping....:hmmm:

silver-mod-o 04-29-2009 09:43 PM

Doubt it, that's mainly for holding the overload to the rest of the spring, if you don't have an overload, don't think you'll be doing aby good.

I doubt the lakewoods would cure it, they're just really "wrap limiters" your springs will still be affected. I'd get a solid bar on there IMO

00Silv4.8 04-29-2009 11:06 PM

wow, good catch. I will have to check my springs every so often.

454navyss 04-30-2009 12:02 AM

i have my stock springs sitting in the shop.....

getonit 04-30-2009 09:59 AM

Longbars for the win!!!

silver-mod-o 04-30-2009 03:31 PM

I've had mine on for a while... I think this damage occured before they were there, and the springs have just weakened over time.

Dark Halo 04-30-2009 04:24 PM

I wonder if I should even take mine off ? I was mainly going to remove them because the caltracs are hitting them.

Mangled03gmc 04-30-2009 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Halo (Post 4193067)
I wonder if I should even take mine off ? I was mainly going to remove them because the caltracs are hitting them.

You should be fine as long as you keep the cals

silver-mod-o 04-30-2009 06:41 PM

I'd pull them Eric. You've got bars.... I just picked up some springs, I'm pulling the overload off them as we speak.

I think with my long bars I'll be fine. You should be too. We can look at them this weekend

2 tone 02 04-30-2009 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JoeGibbSilverado (Post 4192356)
i wonder if simple spring clamps put here and there would cure it from wrapping....:hmmm:

Dude, we can just build some long bars! I lost my hook up on heims and bar stock, but I still might be able to scroung up something...

JoeGibbSilverado 04-30-2009 08:23 PM

well comeon with it, lol, ive just about talked a guy at work to build me some, i need a template of some sort..

silver-mod-o 05-01-2009 12:02 AM

They're VERY simple....

Just from the axle to the frame somewhere... Mine go from the spring cup to where the cab and bed meet on the frame.

454navyss 05-01-2009 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2 tone 02 (Post 4193219)
Dude, we can just build some long bars! I lost my hook up on heims and bar stock, but I still might be able to scroung up something...

mine cost me $26 for the 10' black steel gas pipe, the rest i got from work and im going to use a friend's shop to weld everything up in the next couple of weeks

TXsilverado 05-01-2009 08:22 AM

checked my springs and pinion angle a few nights ago....holy crap haha. my springs bow upwards instead of downward in the middle and my pinion angle is pointing up towards the bed 16*. drive shaft is down toward the rear end 7*....zero vibration at 130mph hahaha. im almost afraid of changing out my spring packs. i may end up with problmes.

silver-mod-o 05-01-2009 10:12 AM

You just described mine, without all the crazy angles hahaha... I think by changing these leafs ill be able to avoid notching my truck. These things are sagging BAD! I know its a common practice nowadays but these frames are engineered to be a certain way and that's not something I want to go screwing with honestly LOL.

I picked up some of the "soft ride" V6 leafs last night and I'm going to remove the overload and put them in today. I won't know if I helped or hurt anything until I get the drivetrain in it :bang:

TXsilverado 05-01-2009 10:40 AM

let me know im guna leave mine alone for now. dont fix what aint broke mentality.

i also discovered that my drunk ass put my pinion shims in backwards haha. that should take my pinion angle back to 12* up haha. better but still not "right"

silver-mod-o 05-01-2009 11:22 AM

True, I think this may be my entire 60' problem though. I was bottoming out hard, then unloading, and spinning. So next logical step was a notch to allow more travel... Then I see this... The back of the truck will probably come up an inch after new springs, even without overloads... But ill likely get more suspension travel back which will be a good thing :)

TXsilverado 05-01-2009 11:43 AM

my truck doesnt squat with the cal-tracs anyways haha.

silver-mod-o 05-01-2009 11:53 AM

That's a good thing ;)

I'm actually considering putting them in with the overloads first to see... Reshimming, then pulling the overloads, and comparing results. I do know that's a LOT of weight back there with them... My trucks gotten rather piggy lately, and this is not going to help LOL...