Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

is there a reason to bypass trans lines to rad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a reason to bypass trans lines to rad?

search button broken but it comes down to this. i have the reflashed pcm, trans, converter and cooler (trucool 40k) sitting in the garage. the only thing i lack to install is lines to install the cooler. i saw the sticky above but everyone in there is completely bypassing the radiator and running lines straight to the trans. why? if i don't copy what they're doing, what AN fittings and/or adapters do i need for the rad?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm i havent read that thread all the way but i wouldnt recommend completely bypassing the radiator, i went from the trans to the radiator then a external cooler then back to the trans... your radiator will pull the majority of the heat out then the external cooler will pull additional heat out some times to much then people add a thermal bypass for cold temperature climates to keep the trans up to a decent operating temperature *Edit that cooler apparently has a thermal bypass built in*
As far as the hose ends this this sticky should show you all you need
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=470284

My external cooler had an fittings already on it, for the trans i just save the connections that went into the tranny got two unions that would allow me to run 3/8 hose up to the radiator then i found some fitting that would fit into the radiator and convert it to a barb end for 3/8"

Last edited by Swerve7rpm2000; 02-08-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

the problem with the radiator side tank is that they can fail and will fill your trans with coolant...completely ruining all of the friction material.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time you would want to bipass the radiator is if you live some place that's warm 12 months out of the year. The radiator water temps help bring the trans temp up when really cold out so it gets into operating temp quicker.
IIRC everyone in that thread wasn't bi-passing the radiator. Several just put it in the place of the factory cooler which also runs through the radiator.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EVILGMC
the problem with the radiator side tank is that they can fail and will fill your trans with coolant...completely ruining all of the friction material.
well there are many things connected in a vehicle that can cause damage to other componets, i can say in the 9 vehicles i have had in the past i have never had that problem, maybe im just luckey!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Launching!

helping the trans get up to temp in winter is exactly why i wasn't keen on bypassing the radiator. coolant gets hot so much faster than the atf or engine oil does. when does the pcm allow the tcc to lock up, 85*f right? i can hear it on the highway when i finally hit that safe temp. by then the coolant is about 170*f. it appeared in that sticky that they were bypassing the rad entirely. i may have been mistaken. i just saw they had run lines all the way to the trans, including replacing the hard line btw the rad and trans which seemed odd to me if they weren't running straight from the trans to the trucool and back. then again, i haven't gotten under my truck lately to look at exactly how everything is plumbed. its cold.

Last edited by YodiBrodi; 02-08-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Launching!

-20, 20* its all damn cold. i work in this weather, last thing i want to do on my days off is work in this weather
Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

its about 65 right now...high of 75.

i have personally seen 4 nbs trucks crack the side tanks. All of them were running either built 60s or 80s with higher than stock line pressures.

i live in california so using the engine to heat the trans fluid isnt an issue.

for a trans cooler, i am using a setrab oil cooler (11x6x1) with -6 lines.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

One thing to consider as well is that the coolant will cool the ATF far faster than air alone.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Well i bypassed mine and it was 14* here last week. My trans temp got up to 70-90* in a few miles cruising down the highway at 45mph

Quick Reply: is there a reason to bypass trans lines to rad?