Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

p0894 Transmission component slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default p0894 Transmission component slipping

This code has shown up twice since a fresh rebuild. I have 280 miles on the trans, stop n go and freeway.

Threw it first at around 120 miles. Cleared it and it just showed up at 270.

- Yank tt3000 fresh from Yank with a cut and clean.

- I reused the solenoids and wiring after the 3-4 clutch pack went out in the new build

- It happened the second time on the freeway, at about 70-75 mph I punched it, it downshifted, I went up to about 95, then coasted back down to 75. On the decel, the light went on.

- The original tune from Nelson is there, they turned the line pressure up. I want to get it re-tuned ASAP but don't have the money right this second.

- Other than the (what seems to be) overly aggressive shift at light to moderate throttle, the trans seems absolutely perfect. It's consistent, nothing wierd.

Im hoping this is due to one of the above, and not some mechanical failure.

Any suggestions as to what might be the most likely culprit?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure that you did not flip the lockup valve in the valve body if you used the transgo kit. I have seen this before and its the first thing I would look at. Remember the threaded end goes towards the end plug. Also did you have this tune with a stall converter in the past?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nelson doesn't do free retunes?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince B
Make sure that you did not flip the lockup valve in the valve body if you used the transgo kit. I have seen this before and its the first thing I would look at. Remember the threaded end goes towards the end plug. Also did you have this tune with a stall converter in the past?
I'll take a look at the instructions again, but I lined up everything according to the pictures. I triple checked

Originally Posted by dmelvin
I think it's only within 12 months. I'll have to call them but it's been a few years
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

at freeway speeds, it seems to pull nicely, but when cruising, and giving it very light throttle, the rpm's will raise about 200 or so, without any acceleration. I wonder if the TC is not locking up?

It's been so long since I've driven the truck with this converter, I don't think I have the right feel for it, I might be missing something.

is it common for those solenoids to go out?

Also, what's the potential downfall of driving it without the TC locking up?

Last edited by 06sierra5.3; 11-27-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 AM

Without the TCC locking up you are going to build additional heat. Solenoids do fail however in most cases I find they are more restricted than flat lined from what I have seen. Also make sure that the tcc filter in the solenoid is not plugged with debris and all orings are good. One more thing to think about is to make sure you used the correct gasket for your separator plate.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince B
Without the TCC locking up you are going to build additional heat. Solenoids do fail however in most cases I find they are more restricted than flat lined from what I have seen. Also make sure that the tcc filter in the solenoid is not plugged with debris and all orings are good. One more thing to think about is to make sure you used the correct gasket for your separator plate.
I Used a pre-drilled separator plate from Dana at 700R4l60E.com and the gaskets he provided. It is a little thicker than the stock separator plate. I did make sure the right gaskets were on the right side though.

When the 3-4 clutch pack was fried, it sent a lot of really fine metal through the tranny. I cleaned out the solenoids with electrical contact cleaner, but I may have just moved it further inside.

The TCC lockup solenoid got cleaned out and a new filter installed. Could it be one of the other solenoids throwing the code? The downshift solenoid maybe. I think the light came on when I floored it and it downshifted from 4 to 3

There are pretty much no symptoms I can feel, other than possibly the TC not locking up on the freeway. Everything else is fine.

I have contacted Nelson about a re-tune. I will start with a re-tune and replacing the TC solenoid and go from there.

Thank you to Vince and everyone else for all your input. I couldn't have done this without this forum.

Last edited by 06sierra5.3; 11-28-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dmelvin
Nelson replied to my email. They are going to take care of the re-tune. It's been over 4 years, I'm extremely happy about this. I was hesitant to ask because I didn't want to seem like I was asking for something for free after so much time.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Nelson called, turns out I was wrong. They said the file showed all the line pressure and shift points were stock. So the 1-2 is harsher than I thought

I have been driving it around town, and a bit on the freeway.

Before the check engine light went on, I was noticing the converter locking up. I was getting 17-19 MPG on the freeway. Now that the light is on the TC is not locking up, and I am getting 12-13 MPG on the freeway at 70 in cruise control

I am going to order a new solenoid/harness just to be sure. I'll check the valve Vince mentioned and some other stuff While I have the pan off.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Hopefully my stupidity will help someone in the future. I found a picture on my cell phone that shows the shaft. I blew it up and there is no oring. I forgot it completely. Ill be pulling the tranny and putting the o ring on saturday.

Quick Reply: p0894 Transmission component slipping