Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ok, all 5-speed guys in here. I want to talk nv3500 shifters......

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok, all 5-speed guys in here. I want to talk nv3500 shifters......

Ok, few questions on the nv3500 trannies. First of all, what is in these things for fluid? Are they using the GM suggested synchromesh? I have 13,000 miles on my truck now and after driving on the highway for 70 miles or so, when I come into town my transmission doesn't seem to downshift or upshift as fast or as precisely as when the transmission is cold. Is this related to the fluid? Also a fast quick aggressive downshift from 5th to 4th sucks at any speeds higher than 80. If I'm doing 60 and downshift hard into 4th it goes like grease lightning. What gives? Is it the synchronizers? Then last but not least, anyone who's running a hurst shifter for these trucks. How do you like it compared to the stock shifter? Has anyone here driven a RST truck or Gibbs truck with a hurst shifter and compared it to their stock one? Any likes and or dislikes? How about noise? Does the shorter throw shifter make anymore noise than the factory one? Any info or input is appreciated.

Thanks dudes,

Joe
Old 08-30-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can only speak for the older version of the nv3500 ( 88-98 trucks specifically) but yes, gm syncromesh is the reccomended fluid. it's as thin as 5w oil, and sucks. I always ran 50/50 mix in mine with 80/90 being the other oil, during the winter, and i ran straight gear fluid during the summer. some people don't like changing their fluid often. I did, because it helped it shift better, and was less noisy. it seemed to help the tranny's take the beating i put on them as well. The hurst shifter, at least in those trucks, ( i had 3 ) is a necessary item, works friggin awsome. Worth every penny. But that's my .02
Old 08-30-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LoudAzzLoStepside
i can only speak for the older version of the nv3500 ( 88-98 trucks specifically) but yes, gm syncromesh is the reccomended fluid. it's as thin as 5w oil, and sucks. I always ran 50/50 mix in mine with 80/90 being the other oil, during the winter, and i ran straight gear fluid during the summer. some people don't like changing their fluid often. I did, because it helped it shift better, and was less noisy. it seemed to help the tranny's take the beating i put on them as well. The hurst shifter, at least in those trucks, ( i had 3 ) is a necessary item, works friggin awsome. Worth every penny. But that's my .02

What did you like about the hurst shifter over the factory one? The factory one has a really shor shift pattern as it is. Does the hurst shift more precisely? smoother? faster? Does it give a more "mechanized" feel overall?

Joe
Old 08-30-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

it adds more feel. shortens it up a lil, and the shifter lever itself was stronger/stiffer so when you really grabbed that gear, it didn't give even a lil bit. You'll rarely miss a gear wtih it. And if you think the nv3500 box is tight... you've obvious been driving 10 speeds for a while... lol. j/k
Old 08-30-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LoudAzzLoStepside
it adds more feel. shortens it up a lil, and the shifter lever itself was stronger/stiffer so when you really grabbed that gear, it didn't give even a lil bit. You'll rarely miss a gear wtih it. And if you think the nv3500 box is tight... you've obvious been driving 10 speeds for a while... lol. j/k

LOL the last truck I had was a 1991 Chevy S-10 with the 2.5 and 5-speed Borg-Warner T-5. The NV3500 is def much tighter than that. And my '70 chevy pickup has a muncie 4spd that I put in behind my 468 and even though that has a long throw, let me tell you, that thing shifts like grease lightning!!!! That has a Hurst competition plus shifter. I'm just wondering if I'd be throwing my money away putting the hurst shifter in my new silverado is all.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like 'em, plus they look great
Old 08-31-2005, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

I put a Hurst in my old truck (95, but had a NV3500) and it was one of the best mods I did. It was a little noisy at first but I got used to it. It shifted much better and looked badass.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Before I let this thread die, has anyone else had experience with the hurst shifter? Any RST owners in here with one? Gibbs?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

I have an RST. I haven't had to opportunity to drive a stock truck agressively to compare; however, I don't know if it is a "transmission" thing, or a shifter thing, but the 2-3 shift agressively + high RPM (5600-5700) = missed shift, you cant even JAM it in there, it like finds a "pocket" or something. Other than that, I love it
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NyteSnyper
I have an RST. I haven't had to opportunity to drive a stock truck agressively to compare; however, I don't know if it is a "transmission" thing, or a shifter thing, but the 2-3 shift agressively + high RPM (5600-5700) = missed shift, you cant even JAM it in there, it like finds a "pocket" or something. Other than that, I love it
I do not have an RST, but my transmission shifts the same way from 2-3 when revved high like that. I cannot wait to put a Hurst shifter in it.

Quick Reply: Ok, all 5-speed guys in here. I want to talk nv3500 shifters......