Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

my torsion bar adventure

Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Performance
Tig, short answer is no (2wd is easier, just measure from center of wheel straight up to fender), but I will send you a PM as to not ***** up batboy's thread.

I agree, sorry batboy.
Thanks Atomic
Old 12-12-2017, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No worries. The main reason I was posting was to provide info for folks dealing with torsion bar issues and to get info I might have missed in my research. I have no problems with posting about alternative solutions.

I got the torsion bars in and played with adjustment. The front end is now a tad over 1/2" higher than before the torsion bar swap. I did crank it up to a full 1" higher and took it on a test drive, but the ride and handling started feeling a bit harsh, so I backed it back down. The rear is 1-1/2" higher than the front, I was shooting for 1", but I can live with this. I do a fair amount of highway driving, so I prefer having a truck with mild manners.

I just got back from getting an alignment. The left toe-in was out of whack as was the right camber. It also got a red flag on "steer ahead" (which I have no clue what that means). The difference during the ride home was quite noticeable. I felt more relaxed driving it now, since it wasn't wandering around on me and requiring constant steering corrections. Without an alignment, my new expense tires would be toast in a short time. Conclusion: alignment was definitely needed and well worth the cash.

While getting the Tahoe aligned, the tech noticed the left rear rotor was super hot. We determined the caliper was dragging. So, on the way out of town, I picked up a new caliper. Guess what my project is for this afternoon?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

So, I'm thinking a simple caliper swap. The rotor looked good, so I assumed the pads would be fine. Nope, when I pulled the old caliper off, the slider bolts had come loose and the pads had wear unevenly. I'm sure this had something to do with the demise of the caliper with all that moving around. I noticed there was hardly any brake fluid coming out of the flex hose after I removed the banjo bolt on the hose. I decided the hose needed replaced too. Luckily, with the help of PB Blaster, I got everything loose without breaking anything. Made another parts run to get pads, hose, and a bottle of brake fluid (since what I had was really old).

I'm pleased to say, I'm back on the road again (and off the road every once in a while). This photo was taken today during my test drive. My Tahoe is no garage queen. It hauls lumber, bags of concrete, and pulls a trailer from time to time. It's the only thing we use when the snow flies. In other words, it's a truck.
Attached Thumbnails my torsion bar adventure-tahoe-flint-hills-resized.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 07:39 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What are the odds I buy a Tahoe with some saggy torsion bars this very week

Soon Atomic, very soon.

They had to crank mine all the way to get the camber in spec for the alignment, I know they are done because even cranked up all the way it just barely got it level and it still rides good hahaha.

I'll be circumventing the torsion bar BS and putting coil-overs under this one probably with the next set of tires. Which shouldn't take but a few months.

Mine will be getting a pro detail on Monday. When I get it back, I'll stick a pic in here to compare ride heights. I have 17" Z71 wheels and some all terrains a size or so over stock too.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Ok, That will be great to compare the two projects. Sounds like you might take a different path, so it'll be interesting to compare and contrast the two setups.

I'm assuming the Tahoe you just got is the 2002 listed in your signature. If so, that's basically the same as mine. I think every 4WD Tahoe and pickup for that matter, of this generation will have a sagging front end if the suspension is stock and if it has a few miles on the clock.

Silver, everyone wants to stuff 285 tires onto stock wheels. I's done all the time, but occasionally there is some rubbing (nothing you'll need to worry about if you get the coil-over front). If I had 17" stock wheels, I would probably pick the BFG LT275/70R17, they fit the stock wheel better and they're not much different (the 285 is 1/2" taller and 1/4" wider in the tread, not a big difference).
Old 12-16-2017, 08:57 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

I think mine are 265's I'd have to look. The truck I bought is a 2wd with torsion bars. It's just sat in one spot for a long time. I don't think the miles kill the bars, just time. It's a 16yr old truck but only has 120K on it. I like the size tire that's on mine now. Hair bigger than stock but it doesn't look stuffed. I don't want or need anything bigger. I'll probably go to some even less aggressive tires when the time comes. Probably just a good Hwy tire in the same size. I don't know if there is a part number difference but with mine being the LT model it was supposed to ride a little better from the factory than the Z71's I'd imagine that has contributed to the sag over the years also since if that's the case, and the bars are different, they would have been softer to begin with. Either way around, when I measure for coilovers, it'll be about the ride height it is now. I like it leveled, and I don't want to mess with the rear suspension. It's got Bilstien 5100's and helper bags now. It rides real nice.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Ah, 2WD Tahoe, I assumed too quick when you said torsion bars that it was a 4WD. Of course you don't want the aggressive all terrain tires on that ride. I bet 265/60R17 would look sweet. Any plans to stagger the front/rear tires? If I had a 2WD with torsion bars, I'd do those coil-overs in a heartbeat.

Last edited by batboy; 12-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:19 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Absolutely not going to do a staggered setup on this one. I put far too many miles on a vehicle not to be able to rotate tires. It'll just be a real mild all terrain or Hwy tire when the time comes. One with a good tread wear rating these days, I could give a damn about traction I want the coilovers for ride quality and plus, it looks like this set of bars has pretty much reached the end of their life tension-wise.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't all tahoes have torsion bars? Mine is 2wd with bars. Doesn't seem to ride as well as the 2wd spring setup on my old truck but i don't know if that's because of old shocks or the fact it has regular shocks in place of the self levelling shocks.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Don't all tahoes have torsion bars? Mine is 2wd with bars.
You're right, I knew for some years the 1/2 ton 2WD pickups had coil springs, but this generation Tahoe and Suburban all had torsion bars regardless if 4WD or 2WD.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my torsion bar adventure