PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   My 4L80e Build Thread (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/my-4l80e-build-thread-536980/)

oakley6575 06-18-2017 07:12 PM

Got it in today. It has reverse neutral and park but no forward gears. Any help would really be appreciated!

Atomic 06-18-2017 10:20 PM

Put a pressure gauge on it?

oakley6575 06-19-2017 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 5412091)
Put a pressure gauge on it?

Didnt get that far yesterday. I will when I get a gauge. I'm pretty bummed. It engages into drive but almost free revs.

Sevex 06-19-2017 04:02 PM

Mine did the exact same thing when I put mine in, although I doubt you have the same problem (mine was a mis-machined billet input shaft). Get a gauge on it and check pressure first, I know the feeling man, totally sucks, but you'll get it and then it's all worth it

oakley6575 06-19-2017 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sevex (Post 5412139)
Mine did the exact same thing when I put mine in, although I doubt you have the same problem (mine was a mis-machined billet input shaft). Get a gauge on it and check pressure first, I know the feeling man, totally sucks, but you'll get it and then it's all worth it

Yea I used the stock input shaft so I know I don't have the same issue as you.. Everyone is thinking its the forward clutch assembly.. I know the teflon sealing rings on the input shaft were good so maybe on of the lip seals is messed up.. I'll probably have to pull it again and go through it. Damn me

oakley6575 06-19-2017 05:54 PM

UPDATE.... I guess I was flustered yesterday.. Just got home and tried all forward gears again. First is the only gear that free revs. Manual second runs normal as wells as third and OD.. Please someone tell me some good news. Anyone know why only first gear is free revving?

Edit: Sounds like it's the 1-2 shift solenoid or the valve is stuck in the bore. I noticed in the scanner it wasn't commanding 1-2 while in first gear. Not sure why since it needs the 1-2 solenoid engaged to apply 1st gear correct?? If I use the command features, I can command 1-2 and it pops into 1st gear. So do you guys think its a faulty solenoid or something more?

When I command the 1-2 solenoid, it definitely pops into first gear, but giving it gas up the driveway, it feels like it has a 4500rpm stall converter. So it has some slip to it. On level grade, it feels normal. So not sure if the solenoid would fix the issue or if there is more to it.

oakley6575 06-20-2017 09:28 PM

Played with it some more today in the scanner. I noticed the 2-3 solenoid is commanded when it should be in first gear.. Why would it be commanding 2-3 instead of 1-2??

Right now in D4, it commands 1-2 off and 2-3 on in first gear, 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids off during 2nd gear, and then 1-2 on and 2-3 off during 3rd gear, and 1-2 and 2-3 both on for overdrive.. The only issue I see is first gear.

I don't know if changing the solenoids would do change anything... Why would it command 2-3 in first gear. Doesn't make sense to me

oakley6575 06-21-2017 01:19 PM

Can someone with HPtuners do me a favor :hmmm:

Can you log the 1-2 solenoid A, 2-3 solenoid B, and current gear for me. I think HPT has the pids backwards where 1-2 is really 2-3 and vise versa. I know the 80e works like the following:

1-2 On - First Gear
Both Off - Second Gear
2-3 On - Third Gear
1-2/2-3 On - Overdrive

Can some one with a working 80e verify thats how theirs functions in the scanner?

brandon6.0 06-21-2017 01:51 PM

maybe its in limp mode and commanding 2nd

oakley6575 06-22-2017 09:41 PM

So the last couple of days I dropped the pan and swapped the A and B solenoids and the pressure switch. That is what someone at Jakes place told me to do. It didn't fix anything at all. Here is what has me stumped... Now I realized that HP tuners has the solenoids swapped in the scanner so I will just tell you what is really going on.

The computer is commanding everything as it should. But if I turn the 1-2 solenoid off from a stop, first gear engages as it should. Then if I turn the OFF override off anytime before overdrive, it will command the 1-2 solenoid and 3-4 solenoid on and shift into overdrive like it should.. So first gear is the only on that is opposite. 1-2 has to be off in order for it to engage first gear... What the F is going on? What did I install backwards?