PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Lucas stop slip questions..advice appreciated. (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/lucas-stop-slip-questions-advice-appreciated-524054/)

Slowest_1500 11-23-2013 02:35 PM

Lucas stop slip questions..advice appreciated.

I bought my truck used, it has 96k now i have no idea if the tranny fluid has ever been changed. I don't wanna touch it at all. I figured maybe if I throw in some Lucas stop slip it'll do some good. It has a slight jerk motion from 1-2 gear. Will the Lucas help? I've read that taking all that dirt out might make things worse, and the bottle says it cleans and stuff..? Advice anyone?

Thanks!

N20zuki 11-23-2013 05:05 PM

What you don't want to do is a transmission flush, Just a simple drain, filter change and refill will be fine.

Slowest_1500 11-23-2013 05:36 PM

Should I add the stop slip? It's gonna be a bit before I can get that done.

Koots 11-23-2013 07:43 PM

I wouldn't use it, personally.

I've used tons of additives on engines, but won't mess with the transmission. A straight up pan drop + filter change is usually good enough.

Slowest_1500 11-23-2013 10:16 PM

Hmmm..I'm not sure I read that some people did that and the transmission went shortly after. I guess only one way to find out..

Koots 11-24-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Slowest_1500 (Post 5165609)
Hmmm..I'm not sure I read that some people did that and the transmission went shortly after. I guess only one way to find out..

I'm pretty sure most of these horror stories of transmission failure were already showing signs of imminent failure to begin with.

Anyone who tells you not to change the filter and replace the lost fluid because you might ruin your transmission, is not thinking clearly enough to listen to. Not changing the fluid and filter is a death sentence to any transmission, guaranteed to a short life.

mando313 11-24-2013 01:50 PM

My uncles truck was shifting into second at 5k rpms at wot, he added the lucas and it went back to normal. What i have heard is that if you change the oil in the tranny Fter it shows signs of wear such as slipping the tranny will blow (no pun intended) lol

Koots 11-24-2013 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by mando313 (Post 5165726)
My uncles truck was shifting into second at 5k rpms at wot, he added the lucas and it went back to normal. What i have heard is that if you change the oil in the tranny Fter it shows signs of wear such as slipping the tranny will blow (no pun intended) lol

What transmission/vehicle was this?

I know from experience that dirt buildup in the valve body of 700R4/4L60 transmissions could seriously mess with the way it shifted. I had a 700R4 that had a dirty throttle valve (TV from TV cable) which caused me to have intermittent issues with it sticking in 1st. I learned to abruptly tap the pedal with the engine off in order to loosen the valve, which worked in an emergency...but I had to eventually pull the VB off and clean it out the best I could.

My point being that, it's possible that the Lucas additive may have helped loosen up some of this build up (same as fresh fluid will too) and helped it get back to factory like shifting.

Just throwing that out there, not trying to argue or debate with anyone. I push a lot of ideas through my crazy brain all the time and not all of them are great or valid :D

Koots 11-24-2013 04:08 PM

Anyway back on topic, If a pan drop and filter change don't change anything, you can try all the things you want, but You'd be surprised how much better an old auto will feel with just this simple procedure (made even easier with a drain plug) though. It's usually top on the list for any automatic vehicle if I don't know the maintenance history.

Just remember to clean the pan as best as you can, so you don't recirculate that gunk through your new filter and clog it up too fast.