PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Intermittent brake problem? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/intermittent-brake-problem-357991/)

Mike_J 01-31-2006 11:47 AM

Intermittent brake problem?

My '05 ECSB silverado feels like it has a warped rotor, sometimes. It seems to be getting worse. I took it back to the dealer with only a few thousand miles on it and they didnt find anything. Now with about 16,000 it seems to be getting worse. Last night while going down a long 11% grade it was really bad. I just had shoulder surgery so I am not mobile enough to to alot of investigating on my own at this point. Does anyone have any ideas what is happening?

Nasty N8 01-31-2006 12:57 PM

Sounds like a mild warp to the rotors that shows when hot. have them cut the rotors.

nate

CHEVY6000VHO 01-31-2006 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mike_J
My '05 ECSB silverado feels like it has a warped rotor, sometimes. It seems to be getting worse. I took it back to the dealer with only a few thousand miles on it and they didnt find anything. Now with about 16,000 it seems to be getting worse. Last night while going down a long 11% grade it was really bad. I just had shoulder surgery so I am not mobile enough to to alot of investigating on my own at this point. Does anyone have any ideas what is happening?

You might want to read my link posted a while back about the same on going problem that I am having. Do you have rear drums?
Then that's the problem. I assume you get a pulsating feeling after the brakes warm up? I'll bring my previous post back up to the top of the listed threads.

Jim

CHEVY6000VHO 01-31-2006 05:16 PM

Read the 05-06' Drum Brake Problems thread!

Jim

Mike_J 02-01-2006 12:42 PM

Re:

Sounds like the drums!!!!!!!!!!!
This, as with so many other problems I've had with this truck, is BS! Never dealt with any of these problems with my '87 or '95!

For Sale: 2005 ECSB LT Silverado, Silver Birch, 16K miles!

CHEVY6000VHO 02-01-2006 03:53 PM

Sounds like the drums!!!!!!!!!!!
This, as with so many other problems I've had with this truck, is BS! Never dealt with any of these problems with my '87 or '95!

For Sale: 2005 ECSB LT Silverado, Silver Birch, 16K miles!

Did you read my thread??? My 2000 5.3L ECSB Silverado was a great truck right up to the day I traded it. It had 140,000mi. I Had no problems with that truck from day one and all the way through til the day we parted.
GM messed up placing rear drums on these trucks.
They will definately not win any Motor Trend truck of the year awards with those rear brakes. They need to ditch them!!! I want factory 4 wheel discs on the 07' Silverado. If not, I will not buy another GM truck until they do.

Jim

Mike_J 02-02-2006 08:46 AM

I read your posts, I had the similar luck from my older Chevys and expected the same quality from my '05. It has been one BS thing after another though, the rear brakes are just the latest.

CHEVY6000VHO 02-02-2006 04:28 PM

I read your posts, I had the similar luck from my older Chevys and expected the same quality from my '05. It has been one BS thing after another though, the rear brakes are just the latest.

It sucks that you have to go through it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Make the dealership fix them!!! Though they will just try to turn the drums and front rotors. It will not help! It will only get worse the more they work on it. It also begins to pulsate even quicker. That's what has been happening to mine. The assistant service manager made that statement himself.
If you think yours are bad......drive my truck for 10 min.

Jim