Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hydroboost Conversion Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody done this on a nnbs yet?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm doing this on an OBS using 2004 'Burb gear box, lines, and booster. I have a pump with 5/8 nipple for a remote can hookup from an R/V with a 454, a reservoir from a Lincoln Navigator, and a 12x12 plate cooler. not sure how it will turn out, but we'll see. so far I had to cut off the eyelet on the HB unit and thread the rod with a 7/16" tap, and need to get a coupler nut for it. then I'll cut off the eyelet on my booster (or cut off one from the JY) and thread it, then put it on the booster so I can adjust the length as needed. the NBS pedal doesn't work in an OBS, so I'm stuck either using my pedal, or using a HB pedal from an OBS - which looks very much like my pedal, so I haven't gone to get one yet.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So , if Ive read this correct. The swap would be easier if I get a power steering pump for the hydroboost setup with pulley. ?
Instead of removing pump pulley to access the line and making a "T" also
Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any issue for those of us that have gen 5 maro acc setup with power steering pump up top from the car?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Since I'll be replacing my power steering pump soon, should I get one for hydroboost and just put a vacuum cap on the extra return line on the pump? This would allow an easier swap down the road if I ever decide to switch to HB
Old 04-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Come Get Some!!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Digging up an old thread.....

Will my stock vacuum booster style master cylinder on my 2003 Silverado bolt up to the hydro boost?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
Digging up an old thread.....

Will my stock vacuum booster style master cylinder on my 2003 Silverado bolt up to the hydro boost?

Thanks!
Yes it will bolt up. No need to bleed brakes that way.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm not a good mechanic, but my "mechanics" cause more problems than they fix, and I am going to try every effort to learn, then jump right in. I have read both sticky posts along with one other good HOW-TO on this, searched "hydroboost" on several forums and read all that comes up, so please know, I am trying to learn this before asking. I was just out looking at a yard and found a HB unit from a 2002 2500HD that had just came in 2 days before. Same year as my 1500, with lines and pedal for $44. Doesn't look too dirty, no visible leaks, and the small amount of oil in the lines looks pretty clean. So I am excited to finally get this going.

1st, So ONE MORE TIME, Can I get someone to just dumb it down big time for me. I have a rack and pinion, (This kind of went unanswered in all the threads for a long time. A couple people did say it works, but not why). Is it the same line that would go into the steering box, fits directly into the rack and pinion with no modification what so ever? What reason does this work? I was expecting to try to come up with a custom line, but would definitely rather use a factory piece. I saw in the other sticky where it was mentioned the Van came with HB and steering rack, where the trucks never did. I saw where one person said the Tahoe line worked..... NOONE said, "here is the part #" all the part numbers I saw, I was under the impression were for the steering box.

2nd, I plan to just T the line, but will I just be trimming off a little bit of the line I have before I T it?

3rd, I picked up the pedal, but I drive a manual transmission. My brake pedal is about the width of the gas pedal/about 1/2 the size of the automatic trans brake pedal. My plan was to just use my caliper to measure how far off the main bar each side of the pedal goes, and then just dremel the excess off of the HB brake pedal, is this reasonable?

4th, Has anyone come up with a reason behind the pedal slack? I see what looks like a thicker gasket between the HB and the firewall, or could this have anything to do with being mounted in a center hole with a different plate, or offset hole and just drilling the 4th hole? I saw how one member cut and threaded then added a coupling. I'm thinking that's a good back up step if it doesn't work originally.

5th. I saw the Ebay seller who had these years ago, is still active and still selling plates, (although they don't currently have one for the Silverado, but they do have s10, which I think is van/ what I am looking for. I am waiting for a response). The other option besides drilling the hole, is the Van HB or OBS HB came with the mounting plate that is correct for the factory size vacuum booster bolt holes?? Does anyone here make/sell these adapters?

Last edited by adriver; 01-23-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Buy that one and do what you need to do to make the pedal the correct size.

1. It's the same thread size you may have to tweak the line a little such as un bend it a little but it works. It doesn't matter if its a rack or a box. The line has no feelings and doesn't care what its bolted to.

2. You can tee the line as mentioned and you may have to trim some off so you dont have exccesive line.

3. Cut it down how ever you need to make it work for you.

4. Pedal slack??? Not sure about that issue. Other than people may not have it adjusted or bleed properly. There is a thin rubber gasket. But it's not any thicker, its almost paper thin.

5. You don't need a plate. There is a dimple in the fire wall just drill out and it will bolt right up like it does on a 2500.
The following users liked this post:
adriver (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Buy that one and do what you need to do to make the pedal the correct size.

1. It's the same thread size you may have to tweak the line a little such as un bend it a little but it works. It doesn't matter if its a rack or a box. The line has no feelings and doesn't care what its bolted to.

2. You can tee the line as mentioned and you may have to trim some off so you dont have exccesive line.

3. Cut it down how ever you need to make it work for you.

4. Pedal slack??? Not sure about that issue. Other than people may not have it adjusted or bleed properly. There is a thin rubber gasket. But it's not any thicker, its almost paper thin.

5. You don't need a plate. There is a dimple in the fire wall just drill out and it will bolt right up like it does on a 2500.
Thats awesome, and so quick. Thank you. I am ready to give it a try and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Hydroboost Conversion Install