Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

High mileage 4L60E ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High mileage 4L60E ?

A question for those of you with experience rebuilding the 4L60E. In general should I expect to need many hard parts when having a 250,000 mile transmission rebuilt? The transmission seems to work fine at this point, but the fluid smells a little burnt and it's pretty dark in color. The truck has an electronic brake controller and cargo coil type shocks on the back. I have no history on service to the transmission. Thanks for any insight you can share.
Mike

I should have indicated this is for a stock 2005 Sierra 1/2 ton.

Last edited by MikeManer; 04-04-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Spend as little as possible if its a stock truck IMO. New clutches, filter gaskets and maybe a vette servo.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I'd be worried.

Mine broke at around 178k.

You can get a new 60e from GM around $1400. This will have all the current fixes and newer solenoids, etc.

If you want to drop some coin, transbuilderguy and RPM have strong 60e builds.

I run a RPM Level 7. It's never given me an issue.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate the help.
Mike
Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new sun shell. preferably the updated one. replace the plastic accumulator pistons with the metal ones. only hard parts I can think of. I'm sure there are a couple other recommended, but I don't remember. the above are almost always going to be either scored or cracked. for the reverse input drum, just tack some scotch bite to the outside of the drum to polish it back up.

Your rebuild kit should come with ALOT of what you need. when doing the white square cut seals, you don't need the specialty tool for installation. just install them with out stretching them as too much. then once they're all on, grab some wormgear clamps and place them over the seals to form them back. Otherwise they'll tear during install of the components.

check out Hiram Gutierrez on youtube for the rebuild. his video's is what I used when I rebuilt mine.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Reverse input drum is a good idea to replace along with an updated sunshell, whether a gm or an aftermarket(beat or sonnax), a simple shift kit (sonnax performance pack or transgo shift kit) and for $12 off amazon a vette servo wouldnt hurt.

Now to explain my thinking... reverse input drum, because i am hoping you are going to replace the band, and the drum with that many miles on it, will have been overheated and may be slightly undersized, and with a new band you want a new clamping surface!!

Sunshell, unless you already have the updated style with the roller bearings are prone to stripping or breaking, i prefer the bearing to support it rather than the plastic thrust washer, as do alot of other people..

The shift kit and vette servo, i am not saying to go all out performance, teeth jarring, hard shifting kit, just something to fix the known issues with the trans, and in turn slightly increase the line pressure, just to help it live longer, both the sonnax performance pack and the transgo shift kit(not the hd2 kit), if installed without going too large on the feed holes will help.... would recommend the sonnax kit over the transgo kit, it includes the aluminum pinless accumulators, and go with the biggest hole size they recommend on the 3-4 feed hole.... the more pressure to that oarticukar clutch pack the better, i used the performance pack in mine and drilled the 4th feed hole and it actually shifts from 3-4 quite firmly.... and holds 4th longer than ive ever seen a 4l60 hold it.... did away with any sort of 3-4 hunting on the interstate, it shifts into 4th and stays there, until i drop her down or hit a grade it actually needs to downshift on...
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Guys I want to thank everyone that replied, I really do appreciate the help.
Mike