Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help with removing c-clips from 10-bolt open rear differential

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
The sun gear is on the sides as opposed to the planetary gears are the four set radially from the axle, rotating around the sun gear correct? I tried wiggling the sun gear side to side, seemed pretty tight. Maybe I should tap that outward with my rubber mallet.
You do have the rear disc off of the axleshaft correct? Otherwise all you do is push the shaft towards center with the cross pin taken out and the clips will come out. I have never, ever needed a hammer for this task on probably 50 C clip tyle rear diffs in my experience. With an open diff there is ample room to get in there. That and a pick and magnet can be helpful to get them off the axleshaft. There usually is ample clearance from interference with the carrier. Being lazy and with rusted onto the hub discs on the back with the calipers and brackets off I tried to push my shafts in with the brake rotor still on. Almost makes it far enough but not quite unfortuantely, thus giving me the problem you are having now.

A photo of the inside the carrier might give some insight here.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:10 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
You do have the rear disc off of the axleshaft correct? Otherwise all you do is push the shaft towards center with the cross pin taken out and the clips will come out. I have never, ever needed a hammer for this task on probably 50 C clip tyle rear diffs in my experience. With an open diff there is ample room to get in there. That and a pick and magnet can be helpful to get them off the axleshaft. There usually is ample clearance from interference with the carrier. Being lazy and with rusted onto the hub discs on the back with the calipers and brackets off I tried to push my shafts in with the brake rotor still on. Almost makes it far enough but not quite unfortuantely, thus giving me the problem you are having now.

Good point, Paypal him too....
Old 12-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a screwdriver and stick it in the c-clip groove on the axle. Then pry/twist it against the spider gear and axle to open up the gap. C-clip should fall right out.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turned out I hadn't whacked the axle with the mallet enough times. About twenty whacks each side and they fell right out like I was originally expecting.

Thanks for all of the help guys. Paypals are in the mail

Now I will have a new problem I foresee though. So I'm waiting on parts, new dust shields, but I have it all apart ready to go. My new problem though, I see that the planetary gears have shifted out of position. Now the manual said, don't let the planetary gears shift out of position, or the world will end or something.

So it seems like when I pop the axles back it then I can work the gears back into position by using the splines to rotate the sun gear to get the others back into position. But hopefully it's not too much of a problem.

Any advice on that?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax

Thanks for the help. I did have the rotors off.

My theory was that the bearing seals were gripping the axle and pulling it back out of the housing just enough to make the clips a tight fit. I was surprised how much the seals were gripping the axles, needed a pry bar to pull them out after the clips came out.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
The sun gear is on the sides as opposed to the planetary gears are the four set radially from the axle, rotating around the sun gear correct? I tried wiggling the sun gear side to side, seemed pretty tight. Maybe I should tap that outward with my rubber mallet.
Oops my description was a bit off based on my brain being a bit off...only two planetary gears and two sun gears yeah?