Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

guys who have built traction bars need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default guys who have built traction bars need your help!

well to start with theres actually a specific thread i was looking for but searched and searched and i cant find it for the life of me, the guy had a 04 i believe it was, white reg cab gmc , made some just like caltrac's for a fraction of the cost.

anyways, i'm looking into building some, was trying to get some info on the specific gauge tube needed and where to get the hyme joints for the ends also sizing on those. i glanced around today at lower and saw they had 3 ft metal tubing that looked thick enough but just want to get all the info before spending money on stuff that wont work. any help, advice, input, or links to other threads that may have the info would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was considering doing this too, but decided I will just buy the Caltracs. If you price all the parts with good heim joints, and the aluminum bushings it adds up real quick, and you don't save much. They arrive all ready to bolt on, and measured specifically for your vehicle.

If you do however decide to make your own, I saw an article that was pretty good about building them. Just make sure to use good heim joints, and use aluminum bushings.

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html
Old 04-06-2011, 02:18 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^Yes, that is the best article I've seen to attempt duplicating Cal-Tracs.

I decided to just buy Cal-Tracs. By the time you purchase materials, mess up a couple things and have to re-do it, and have it powerdercoated, you will have spent about the same, and spent lots of time doing it. And you still will have bushing deflection in your front leaf spring bushing.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That thread you are reffering to is on ls1truck.com, i believer his name is dumpd04
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the input guys, looks like ill be taking a trip to the metal shop friday. i will agree that itd probably be easier to just buy caltracs, but i cant see paying that much for less than 100 dollars worth of metal. i have a issue with over paying for things, and before its said i know you get what you pay for, i spent $60 a yard for the suede in my truck so i only pay when i see its appropriate and itll give me something else to do
Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does $100 worth of metal include 4 heim joints and powdercoating the finished product?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well for me yes close to it, can get the heim joints from my uncle that gets discounts since the ones ive been pricing are about 40% more than what he can get them for.and i have a powdercoatin gun and access to a heatin room for it to cure in, thats why i was wanting to know what heim joints was being used so id know what to get , ill make sure to post up everything once i start on it this weekend.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck buddy, i want to see some pics of this project...
Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pics suck but have been busy with crazy work hours and looking into starting a shop since i hate my current job and love everything automotive anyways haha. still not sure on it but its worth looking into, ill get better pics tomorrow. just trying to stick to my word since i promised pics. joints are rated at 10k load each. got bungs and jamnuts also.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks pretty good, fairly close to what mine look like, I'm interest to see your front brackets

Quick Reply: guys who have built traction bars need your help!