Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

FLT Level7 is finally here!! **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT

Seriously if I were you I would get some cardboard to lay on. That asphalt is going to give you road rash by the time you are done!
You are not kidding. My last swap was in the street.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:44 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need any help? I really don't want to go to this damn engagement party.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dlt76028
I got ask, why did you go with such a high level trans with billet parts? Your probably only making ~300whp right? Nice looking parts either way.
Grasshopper, u have many things to learn. Don't always judge a book by it's cover.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
...the trans is intended for my future set up, which includes a head and cam LQ9. I've had the block and a set of WCCH StageII 317's for years now, and was on a good pace with acquiring parts to get it all together until I became a daddy and my fun money became day care money...Took my blown trans as an opportunity to beef up the driveline now so I don't have to do it again later
Way to stay ahead of the curve.

Originally Posted by jiar577
I scored a Roush tvs1900 a few weeks ago and now I have to wait to install it as I'm sure the stock tranny is not going to like it
Vince / Billy, I figured go for the Trifecta Multi-Quote!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

What are the 2 distance or gap specs?

Billy, I'm unsure of 2 specs. Maybe Vince or Circle D will chime in.

I PM'd Chris for Bellhousing - Converter spec: He said ~1/8". So that's the flywheel to conv. spec. I guess?

Vince said in a thread, measure gap betw. flexplate converter mounting pad & tq. conv. mouting pad.
If gap is betw. .060" & .187", it's OK to bolt up conv.

If gap exceeds .187", install a .060" flat washer betw. conv. & flexplate.

The bellhsg - conv. pads spec should be 1 1/8 (1.125)" acc. to Vince. This distance can vary by .050"

I'm new to this, as I'm usually the grunt, not the 1 who checks the tolerances.

Someone correct me on following if I'm wrong.
1) So there's a bellhsg. to converter spec.?
2) And a flexplate to converter (or conv. pads) spec?

Did I say that right?
So, 1) = ~1/8" ?
And 2) = ~1 1/8" ?

Does it matter how far inside bell the convert. sits, or is that matter? Or do these specs take care of that?

Honestly, only 2 things concern me. Specs I mentioned, & if I'm doin myself, 200# of tranny.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Vince / Billy, I figured go for the Trifecta Multi-Quote!
I wish I had the $$$, but apparently you missed my daddy statuts. Between the 2 month old baby and new home I'm officially out of "toy funds" so the tvs have to wait.

So how long it took budhayes to get the FLT, 18 months? At the rate things are flowing here lately I guess that's my goal lol. At least my truck is running (knock on wood).
Old 05-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

What are the 2 distance or gap specs?

Billy, I'm unsure of 2 specs. Maybe Vince or Circle D will chime in.

I PM'd Chris for Bellhousing - Converter spec: He said ~1/8". So that's the flywheel to conv. spec. I guess?

Vince said in a thread, measure gap betw. flexplate converter mounting pad & tq. conv. mouting pad.
If gap is betw. .060" & .187", it's OK to bolt up conv.

If gap exceeds .187", install a .060" flat washer betw. conv. & flexplate.

The bellhsg - conv. pads spec should be 1 1/8 (1.125)" acc. to Vince. This distance can vary by .050"

I'm new to this, as I'm usually the grunt, not the 1 who checks the tolerances.

Someone correct me on following if I'm wrong.
1) So there's a bellhsg. to converter spec.?
2) And a flexplate to converter (or conv. pads) spec?

Did I say that right?
So, 1) = ~1/8" ?
And 2) = ~1 1/8" ?

Does it matter how far inside bell the convert. sits, or is that matter? Or do these specs take care of that?

Honestly, only 2 things concern me. Specs I mentioned, & if I'm doin myself, 200# of tranny.

from the points where the converter pads bolt up... when the converter is all the way back in the trans , make sure that you have a gap no less than . 1/16'' and no more than 3/16 ....
Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 PM
I hate my cats

Cool. I have a trans built to similar specs by a local builder waiting to be installed. (I would have bought an FLT if the shipping wasn't so expensive to Canada) Was gonna install it today to escape the Sister In Law but decided I didn't have the energy after all 3 hours sleep last night. What's the story on the updated transfer case pump retaining clip though? Have a good weekend of wrenching good sir.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats Billy. Hope the install goes well.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it in yet? is it in yet?

I bet your tired, greasy and sore bout now!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeake
Nice. take pics while you are installing it in the parking lot. I hate doing stuff like that in parking lots. Actually I hate doing stuff like that at all.
The pics will be up in my next reply...got pics of the truck in the air in the parking lot, where it still remains lol...I'm pushing the envelope. Most of the neighbors seemed pretty cool, I always say "hi how's it going" and they seem OK. Had one guy who seemed a little nosy, so I gave him the stink eye

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Have you seen my pic's? How do think those were taken?

Seriously if I were you I would get some cardboard to lay on. That asphalt is going to give you road rash by the time you are done!

I appreciate some of the posts in this thread and will do some multi/fastnblue quotes later if I get some time. Have to get the shop to help a buddy out with some transmission dyno time today. Damn rookies!

Have fun Billy. If you need anything shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you asap. Vince
I took some pics because I didn't want you to think me a wuss lol...thanks for the help today, everything seemed to work out, we'll know tomorrow hopefully. I could have used the cardboard, gives you more room than the creeper that I was on that I kept getting my fat rolls stuck in the wheels I used to get my hair stuck in the wheels...20 years ago

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
Need any help? I really don't want to go to this damn engagement party.
Could have used you today Dan...whatcha doin tomorrow?

Way to stay ahead of the curve.
As you always say Tom: "build for the future!"

Originally Posted by jiar577
wish I had the $$$, but apparently you missed my daddy statuts. Between the 2 month old baby and new home I'm officially out of "toy funds" so the tvs have to wait.

So how long it took budhayes to get the FLT, 18 months? At the rate things are flowing here lately I guess that's my goal lol. At least my truck is running (knock on wood).
Congrats on becoming a daddy, and the new home! It's a bummer to give some things up, but parenthood is so much better I wouldn't trade my daughter for the world, she is my world

Originally Posted by daryn c
from the points where the converter pads bolt up... when the converter is all the way back in the trans , make sure that you have a gap no less than . 1/16'' and no more than 3/16 ....
I ended up right in the middle pretty much

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
Cool. I have a trans built to similar specs by a local builder waiting to be installed. (I would have bought an FLT if the shipping wasn't so expensive to Canada) Was gonna install it today to escape the Sister In Law but decided I didn't have the energy after all 3 hours sleep last night. What's the story on the updated transfer case pump retaining clip though? Have a good weekend of wrenching good sir.
Thank you sir...here's the skinny on the transfer pump retaining clip...not sure on what years are affected, but what happens is the transfer pump retaining clip breaks causing the pump to rock around and wear through the case half, creating a leak and to fix it you have to replace the case half which is big bucks (or use JB Weld I guess). I figured that since I'm taking the t-case out anyway, might as well replace the $3 clip before I have a problem. I'll take pics of that tomorrow when I do it.

Originally Posted by jpodell
Congrats Billy. Hope the install goes well.
Thanks man, so far so good, had a few snags, but everything worked out, just slowed me down and killed a few hours that's to be expected.

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Is it in yet? is it in yet?

I bet your tired, greasy and sore bout now
!

Tired, greasy, and sore for sure...my neck, back, and right elbow are aching something awful, and I know it's going to be worse when I wake up...it's all worth it to drive my truck again...it's "in" but not quite done, hopefully tomorrow...more info in my next post with pics.

Quick Reply: FLT Level7 is finally here!! **PICS**