Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

converter BANG into lockup!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default converter BANG into lockup!

whats goin on everyone? ive got a few questions reguarding my 01 silverado. in may i shattered my output shaft so i of course got the trans built. it had a transgohd-2 with full vette servo assy before it grenaded. those are still in the trans but it now has a 600+hp rating and is filled with all sonnax components as well as a custom 10" converter through torque converter technologies. since then ive mabey put 5000mi. on it, its taken numerous beatdowns and has never given me any problems whatsoever...until last night. i drove for about 30minutes and the truck sat for mabey 3 hours at most until i left...about 5 miles down the road everything went from working how it should to BANGING when the converter locked up. trans shifts perfectly fine, its just the extremely harsh lock up thats giving it problems. later on in the night when i was about a mile from home i stood on it to see if itd slip/bang act funny or whatever...and i got nothing everything felt exactly how it should until the lock up. i am honestly stumped, ive got no codes whatsoever and am hoping it could be a tcc solenoid, pmw or something small like that. but in the back of my mind i feel like theres something going on in the valve body. if anyone could point me in the right direction itd be appreciated!!

thanks in advance

tj
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

took my truck to the guy that built the trans last night, he took the truck for a test drive and then he picked up the top guy from our local sonnax dealer and took him for a ride as well since he wanted a second opinion...they both came up with either a solenoid is sticking, a 4th/od valve is sticking or i fucked up the converter/something else in the valve body. the thing that scares me is i did find a purpleish tint in the atf which would be aluminum...so until saturday i wont know what is going on with it wether its the valve body or the converter itself. im just praying that i dont have to drop this trans again lol
Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

things do break even if new im in for some results
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am too, i just wish saturday was here already so i wouldnt be going insane lol. ill fersure keep everyone updated though. when i put the trans in the truck the first time he even said if theres any problems hell stand behind it and pull the trans himself if anything went wrong, i just hope he sticks to his word. its about 30 right now in illinois, and i definitley dont wanna be spending my new years tearing this turd apart
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont fell alone I will be tearing mine down this wekend anyways instaling different intake and a power steering pump
Old 12-27-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its odd that it is doing it all of a sudden, but if they removed the checkball from the end of the input shaft, this causes very from lockup...but again, you said it just started right? I would still ask if they removed this checkball...

You might want to call the converter company just to see what they say, maybe there is a dampner in there that got damaged?

just some ideas for ya
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What /\ he said. Maybe something going on with the pwm solenoid, but i couldnt imagine that would be the result without it giving more issues.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the thing is that this lock up bang is VERY unconsistant, and literally came out of no where. the rep from sonnax that went for a ride with my builder did mention the pmw solenoid which i forgot to add. as for the input i know the builder said that he does not believe in removing those. he thinks the transgo 4th/conv valve in the valve body could be messed up. its just the shavings make me think its the internals of the convertor which im praying isnt the case. torque convertor technologies they offer a 5year warranty with their custom stalls its just im dreading pulling this trans again, specially with the weather weve been having and us in the middle of trying to sell our house lol. i will be honest the other day probably for a good 100miles straight i beat the everliving hell out of the truck, with that being said thats the last time ill ever take my anger out on a car again. but the funny thing is youd think itd grenade when i was hard on it? the day after on christmas when i was babying it is when it started to have problems...i swear this truck has got a mind of its own!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and just to help ya guys out too the bang literally feels like how it did when i shattered my output shaft, when its the harsh engagement that is. and a stupid question that i forgot to ask, i doubt i have enough power to do it but if the welds broke on the conv. what symptoms would it have?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

My 80E started acting weird like that.. i adjusted the Lockup in the tune and its all better now.. No Slip after it locks so ill keep driving it

Quick Reply: converter BANG into lockup!