Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Early Converter Lockup When Cold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Early Converter Lockup When Cold?

Truck is a 2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with 6.0 and 4L80E. Only modifications are shorty headers and an Airaid Modular Intake Tube (stock filter box). No tuning changes, that's all stock.

Title indicates what I THINK is happening. Only happens when cold. By "cold", I mean ambient temp cold and truck cold start, such as morning commute to work sub freezing ambient temp; or after sitting all day at work in sub freezing temps. What happens is this: Starting off from stop, first pulling out onto the road, so truck has been running for a few minutes, enough time to get out of the garage or parking lot or whatever, and make my way to the road. Say 1 to 2 minutes running time. Starting off easy, light throttle. Taking it easy, truck isn't warmed up yet. First shift, from 1 to 2, shifts early (because of light throttle), but seems to either already have the converter locked up, or it locks up immediately upon shifting to 2nd. RPM drops to 1300 maybe, truck sometimes "bucks". Step a little harder on the gas to try to get either a downshift or unlock the converter and it won't do either. It's clearly struggling because it's in too high a gear for the speed, load, etc.

So, what gives? Is my converter faulty? Seems normal once warmed up, this never happens at warmer ambient temps, even moderately cold, like 40's. I usually see it only when ambient temps hit the 20's, but then it happens consistently.

If I put the truck in "towing mode" this doesn't seem to happen. Any help? No check engine light or other indication of a fault.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

This is a temperature related issue. The computer will change certain characteristics in the transmission until it reaches operating temps. I think its to help it warm up faster.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by terravast4
This is a temperature related issue. The computer will change certain characteristics in the transmission until it reaches operating temps. I think its to help it warm up faster.
locking the converter slows warmup. This is an 80e issue. Forget the reason why though.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by terravast4
if this were normal adjustments for cold temps, upshift would be delayed to keep engine rpm and egt up. This would be to help warm up catalytic converters and general engine heating. The truck is doing the opposite.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt

locking the converter slows warmup. This is an 80e issue. Forget the reason why though.
Ok, good to hear that it's a known issue, at least. I hope somebody comes up with the cause and a "programmed repair" that works.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Not sure why it does it on yours if trans and tune are stock.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I have a rebuilt 80e and mine locks up long before my truck is fully warm.

I do know the 80e heats up faster over the 60e, even with a 40k cooler.

I just drive it. It's not causing issues and I like the little extra MPG I get when it does it. LOL
Old 12-12-2018, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by madmann26
I have a rebuilt 80e and mine locks up long before my truck is fully warm.

I do know the 80e heats up faster over the 60e, even with a 40k cooler.

I just drive it. It's not causing issues and I like the little extra MPG I get when it does it. LOL
No, it IS causing issues. There is no mpg benefit to a locked converter when accelerating stone cold in 2nd gear. As stated in my original post, the truck bucks and struggles to accelerate because of the early converter lockup. It puts heavy strain on the cold engine trying to lug the truck with a locked converter. "Just drive it" is not an option. This needs a fix so nothing else gets F-ed up!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

No codes?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
No codes?
No MIL's. I assume no codes, but maybe I'm wrong about that. I'll have it checked. Good idea.

Quick Reply: Early Converter Lockup When Cold?