Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Annoying Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Squeaking

I have a 2000 ECSB Silverado and i have a few squeaking problems.

First i have one on the rear of the drivers side, i'm not sure what it is from maybe the bushing is out in my the drop shackle?

Second i have a squeaking up front, when i get in the truck and take off it squeaks as the wheels turn and then eventually stops or i just can't hear it over the engine noise.

Third i have a squeaking that sounds like it is coming from the steering column. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

for the rear.. i would say shackles.. i put my drop shackles on mine and forgot to grease them.. sounded like sh*t.. took them back out and greased them up real good bolts and bushings and its stopped.. front could be alot of things.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try some silicone spray on all your bushings. If it stops squeaking then obviously that was your problem.
As far as the first issue, I would almost be willing to put money on it that it's your shackle bushing. They are notorious for squeaking. I don't know what they wouldn't just put a grease zerk on there.

The second issue if it's a squeeling issue could be your power steering. The fluid may just need to be topped off. Check that first.

The third, could be your intermediate steering shaft which is notorious to go bad although it would be more of a popping sound.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Teching In

thanks guys, the second issue wouldn't be a ball joint or a brake issue would it?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the noise in the rear, try loosening up the shackle bolts with the wheels on the ground, and re-torquing them. Sometimes, if the shackles are tightened with the wheels off of the ground, the bushing will sort of "twist" when the vehicle is lowered and may create a squeak.

For the squeaking with the wheels turned, can you reproduce it with the truck parked and turning the wheel side to side, or does the truck have to be moving? Could be a number of things, brake issue or ball joint like you mentioned, bushings, possible upper shock bushing (I had a squeak from mine that ended up being the upper shock bushings)

You'll have to narrow down the squeaking from the steering column, is it inside or outside the cab? Could be the intermediate shaft, or where the shaft passes through the firewall, or one of the column bearings...even the airbag spiral cable...
Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure i figured out the front problem, the brake pads are rubbing the rotors so i purchased new brake pads and i'm going to put them on tomorrow. The rear squeaking i'm pretty sure is the shackle. I'm going to loosen it on the ground and tighten them back up and spray a little silicone spray. When i checked the steering shaft everything looked fine until you get down where everything goes together on the power steering pump. Everything seems like it is a little wobbly, like a bushing or bearing is out? Anyone know anything on this?