PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Caltracs vs Long Bars (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/caltracs-vs-long-bars-423737/)

Dirty 30 08-24-2008 10:08 AM

Caltracs vs Long Bars

I dont know if this is stupid or not, but can you put both on a truck? :confused: Or would the caltracs have no purpose with the long bars in place? Sorry, lol, just throwing some ideas since i have nothing to do at work. :emb:

built408 08-24-2008 12:08 PM

they are both the same thing, just set up differently.

Dirty 30 08-24-2008 12:21 PM

ah ok thanks!

ZZebes 08-24-2008 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by built408 (Post 3986945)
they are both the same thing, just set up differently.

Not exactly

a caltrac is basically a really fancy pinion snubber because it uses the front spring perch as a pivot point, long bars on the other hand use a much longer leverage arm to lift the front of the truck up and transfer the weight to the back tire, the caltracs don't really do shit for weight transfer but they keep the wheel hop out cause they prevent your leaf springs from looking like this under load ~ caltracs have a habit of actually lifting the rear end under load instead of squatting

MR Marine 08-24-2008 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ZZebes (Post 3986972)
Not exactly

a caltrac is basically a really fancy pinion snubber because it uses the front spring perch as a pivot point, long bars on the other hand use a much longer leverage arm to lift the front of the truck up and transfer the weight to the back tire, the caltracs don't really do shit for weight transfer but they keep the wheel hop out cause they prevent your leaf springs from looking like this under load ~ caltracs have a habit of actually lifting the rear end under load instead of squatting

Actually the Caltracs move your instant center much farther forward than just using the leaf spring . If your having problems with to much separation you need to stiffen the shock extension. Caltracs are just a crude 4 link, but they do wonders for weight transfer. while keeping the leafs from wrapping up at the same time. you do need to have a minimum of 5" of front end travel to get the most out of them though and the looser the better for a truck.

Dirty 30 08-24-2008 01:41 PM

So does the front and rear have to be loose or just the front?

MR Marine 08-24-2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty 30 (Post 3986976)
So does the front and rear have to be loose or just the front?

Just the front

vanillagorilla 08-25-2008 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by MR Marine (Post 3986975)
you do need to have a minimum of 5" of front end travel to get the most out of them though and the looser the better for a truck.

I keep hearing this, but nobody has said if it's 5" total or not. In other words, at the starting with the vehicle at ride height, do you need 5" of travel downward? Or do you just need the front suspension to travel 5" total, like 2.5" down and 2.5" up?

MR Marine 08-25-2008 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla (Post 3987431)
I keep hearing this, but nobody has said if it's 5" total or not. In other words, at the starting with the vehicle at ride height, do you need 5" of travel downward? Or do you just need the front suspension to travel 5" total, like 2.5" down and 2.5" up?

5" of travel from ride height. Measure the fenderwell at ride height and then jack it up till the tire is just ready to leave the ground and measure again. Most truck have plenty of travel over cars

aarolar 08-25-2008 04:13 PM

So in the end are long bars or caltracs better or does it depend on the situation.