Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Caltrac Owner Opinions/Reviews/Testimonies

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MPFD, does that help ride on street be a lil smoother, or not really due to the alum. bushing?

I can't imagine my ride changing or degrading too much more. Maybe I should say too much firmer on the big bumps w/. Caltracs. But I'd be to find out after I dropped the coin.

Tho that poly idea that Matt used could work to my advantage & I'd still get better traction.

IDk if I'm more concerned w/. that "possible ride" issue or clearance in the snow. How many more inches of ground clearance I wonder will I lose before I( can't use my truck in snow. As it is, 8" or more snow on ground become an issue.

If I didn't have to drive it thru winter & had a better option, it'd be an easier decision to make. Unless I took em off before winter & put em back on after winter. It'd be a pain, but I can swap out my QA1's like that in < 30 min. No, not ideal.

Last edited by fastnblu; 03-08-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much weight are y'all towing? I will be towing my Camaro. I was told it would beat the bushings to death but I don't know.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Does anyone tow with Caltracs? Or would you need to pull the bar?
I tow all the time with mine. No worries.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Tom, they ride just fine if you don't go too far on the preload. 1/4 to 1/2 turn max. And ground clearance in the snow?? If I don't have to worry about it, you don't have to worry either. However, if you want them to stay looking new, then remove them at the same time as your QA1's. The powdercoating stayed looking nice through the first winter, but here we are at the end of their second winter, and the paint is peeling.

I do have a customer with a set on his truck, also two years old, that still look new. The difference is that he washes his Cal-Tracs when he washes his truck. Probably 2-3 times per week. He's retired, and his truck is never dirty. Never.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Tom, they ride just fine if you don't go too far on the preload. 1/4 to 1/2 turn max. And ground clearance in the snow?? If I don't have to worry about it, you don't have to worry either. However, if you want them to stay looking new, then remove them at the same time as your QA1's. The powdercoating stayed looking nice through the first winter, but here we are at the end of their second winter, and the paint is peeling.

I do have a customer with a set on his truck, also two years old, that still look new. The difference is that he washes his Cal-Tracs when he washes his truck. Probably 2-3 times per week. He's retired, and his truck is never dirty. Never.
Thanks for the input, Roger. I loved the ground clearance part.
But u do know I'm 2wd, not 4wd like you, right?

I know those types. Truck is always clean, grass is always manicured. Or for you, snow is always shoveled in front of the igloo.

I have neighbors like that; retired too. They always wanna bring the trash containers in 1st, ditto on mail, cut their lawn 1st, rake leaves 1st. Ya, I know em.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Although my truck is 4x4, it is also lowered. Plus our trucks both have the same rear tire size, so when you think about it, ground clearance is the same.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few extra sets of Energy Suspension bushings if anyone is interested in purchasing some.

As far as I know you can't buy the bushings individually and you can't buy direct from Energy Suspension.

Originally Posted by skolman91
remember that part # for the bushing by chance? I have lowering leafs and the back end is already stiff enough, might go the bushing route..
Originally Posted by skolman91
did some looking and found 3-2141G is energy suspension part # for our application i believe. only thing is his are red and they list them as black..
Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
I think the poly bushing that fits the caltracs is the part # for a 3/4 ton silverado nbs
Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a couple sets of polyurethane bushings left for the CalTracs. $45 shipped

Old 08-31-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I just got done putting mine on with those bushings, they have to be a little better for ride comfort than the solid alum ones. Mine seems to be pretty comfy at least, anybody about to put some caltracs on i would suggest these if its not an all out race truck..
Thanks for the hookup btw..
Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sent you a pm, Dezert1500...

Quick Reply: Caltrac Owner Opinions/Reviews/Testimonies