PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Busted the g80, couple questions. Take a look at this. (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/busted-g80-couple-questions-take-look-513471/)

Mud slinger 01-27-2013 06:04 PM

Busted the g80, couple questions. Take a look at this.

2 Attachment(s)
Heard a loud pop when I was leaving my house the other day and a clunk. Acted like the 4wd was trying to engage or a cv shaft going out. It kept popping and clunking about every other time I would take a turn. Finally got home and had my roomate drive it around and I walked next to it listening. Finally pin pointed the noise to the rear end. Got it to my parents house and pulled the cover off and found this.
Attachment 121649
You can see in this picture below that the top gear is all busted up. It's completely shattered and in pieces, one other one has chunks taken out of the teeth but they are all there. I drove it for probably 50 miles like this and didn't even know it. Probably shouldn't drive it anymore though.
Attachment 121650

My gears look to be fine but since I'm in there Im thinking about doing a tru trac and some 4:56s. Plans are a 4l80e swap and a roots blower and eventually a lift and 35" tires down the road.

So my question is.
Is that the g80 that I blew up?
Would a roots blower, 4:56 gears and a 4l80e be a good combo?

AKlowriderZ71 01-27-2013 06:21 PM

Yes, that's a G80. Yes it's grenaded. The broken gear in your hand is a spider gear.

The rest of your plans are all well thought out, and should work great. For 35's, I would definately recommend the 4.56 ratio.

Mud slinger 01-27-2013 07:06 PM

Knew they were dumb questions but thought I would ask any ways :D
Wasnt so sure if the blower would like the 4:56s though. The lift and tires will be the last on the list. My 60e is hurting and I'm just waiting for it to fail on me, when I does then ill do the 80e. Highway rpms are going to be high with the 80e, 4:56s and 32" tires. I don't mind that though. Can't be any worse than my 2wd silvy with 4:56s and 28" tires.

AKlowriderZ71 01-27-2013 07:08 PM

Blowers love gears. :)

Mud slinger 01-28-2013 01:19 AM

Looks like everything is good except for the g-80. So on second thought I may just save the cash, keep the 3:73s and buy a tru-trac. I can almost buy a used blower for the price of gears and install.

Mangled03gmc 01-28-2013 01:25 AM

LOL my spider gears did the same exact thing. Felt like the rear end was getting ripped out of the truck when I made turns.

bs4.8 02-17-2013 11:29 AM

did it just let go? or where you beeting the truck..I have the g80 3.73..and ive built up my motor and tranny,seeing all these things happening with the g80 makes me worry lol

Chevy_King1500 02-17-2013 11:48 AM

^ yeah, even with stock power and slightly larger tires. the rear end can go out.

most will say that trans and rear end should be upgraded first, but we all know that never happens.

Mud slinger 02-17-2013 12:45 PM

It just let go. I backed up out of my drive way then went to take off about 1/2 throttle and heard a loud pop. Put about 50 miles on it after with it popping every once in a while. It has been abused before though. Sideways around every corner when it's raining, donuts, burnouts, straight line launches, etc.. But when it let go I wasn't beating on it.

D.J Vasquez 02-17-2013 04:10 PM

same thing happen to me

just last week backing out of drive way turn out the drive way and heard a loud pop, didnt know what it was and drove down the road about 3 blocks didnt here nothing untill i turn RT/or LF then it got worse had to push it home .once i got it home i tooke off the cover and BAM !! THEIR IT WAS !! shrapnel every where !! good thing the cover had a magnet on it !! come to find out it was the spider gears !! all 4 of them where gone !! after 13500 miles i guess it was time exspecial after all the up grades to the moter and traney !! didnt miss the carrier up !!think god !!here is some photos of the build !!