Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Bounce after shackles

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:21 AM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bounce after shackles

Put some suspension stuff on my SS.
DJM front and rear sway bars plus moog end links
belltech street Performance shocks front and rear
belltech drop shackles for 2" rear drop
decranked front torsion bars for about 1" (I know not the best)
alignment

Installed the shocks and sway bars first and rode pretty well. Then threw on shackles looking to level.

This.

Ick. Felt the bounce. Just had to do something about the reverse rake, so torsion bars a quick answer. Front rides better after I drilled the front bumpstops.

Sits like this now. The rear is bouncy and I am not sure if there is anything to be done. My '01 with shackles wasn't like this. I plan to coilover the front so if it's the torsions then that will solve it, but it sure feels like the rear is the problem. Suggestions?

Last edited by meatwad; 06-21-2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-21-2017, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Remove the stock bump stops from the frame and install some aftermarket ones like these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...116g/overview/
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Fast lane preferred

I forgot to mention I trimmed some stock bumps in the rear and mounted directly to the frame. I don't have a pic, but iirc there is about 3 in between stop and frame at ride height.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosen the shackles a little and stand on the back bumper and jump up and down. Then tighten them back up. May be bound up if you tightened them up without weight on them
Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 PM
Fast lane preferred

Originally Posted by mattdavis12340
Loosen the shackles a little and stand on the back bumper and jump up and down. Then tighten them back up. May be bound up if you tightened them up without weight on them

Thats a good thought. I'm pretty sure I tightened on the ground but I got nothing to lose trying it. Should have time and daylight Friday.

Open to to any other suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Tuner Lvl 0

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you figure this out? I'm having similar issues with a shackle and hanger kit. I haven't trimmed the bump stop yet though.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by darkirish63
Remove the stock bump stops from the frame and install some aftermarket ones like these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...116g/overview/
Do this!!! Mine bounced like a pogo stick after I installed my lowering kit even with the stock bump stops trimmed. Need to add the correct shock size for the kit as well. I went with Calverts and couldn't be more pleaded that I did.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by darkirish63
Do this!!! Mine bounced like a pogo stick after I installed my lowering kit even with the stock bump stops trimmed. Need to add the correct shock size for the kit as well. I went with Calverts and couldn't be more pleaded that I did.
I agree. Mine bounced so hard i was embarrassed to have a passenger. I bought some bump stops from energy suspension that are called ultra low bump stop and they gave tons more clearance
Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Fast lane preferred

Still bouncing on my pogo truck. I don't think bumpstop clearance is my issue though. It feels more like my shocks aren't doing any dampening. Even on small highway bumps where the bumpstops aren't even close to being touched I get the bounce. Really apparent going really slow over speed bumps. I only dropped the rear 2" with shackles.

If it's the shocks then either one or both of my shocks came to me bad, I installed them wrong, they are the wrong length, or something else I haven't accounted for.