Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

HELP! Severe Wobble/shake/vibration over rough roads

Old 08-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation HELP! Severe Wobble/shake/vibration over rough roads

This has happened 3 times in about as many weeks now.

I'll be driving along anywhere from 40-70mph and everything is fine. As soon as I come across a rough or really uneven patch of road (think road patches and minor potholes), I will get a wobble/vibration in the front end. The steering wheel will shake and if I brake while this happens, it makes it worse until I get below 25 or stop.

It wobbles and shakes bad enough that anyone else in the truck can feel it and feels as if the front wheel/s are going to fall off. I had the steering box, ball joints and hub bearings checked all ready but the guy who checked wasnt sure what could cause this. The steering on my truck in general seems just fine compared to anything else even with 188k miles.

Hub bearings are fairly new, has less than one year old Bilstein shocks. Truck is lowered almost 2" in the front with keys. Been this way for about a year now and has been find up until this point.

Really need some help on this one. Read some previous posts but nothing quite similar to my issue. Saw that could possibly be pitman or idler arm.

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by black00chev
This has happened 3 times in about as many weeks now.

I'll be driving along anywhere from 40-70mph and everything is fine. As soon as I come across a rough or really uneven patch of road (think road patches and minor potholes), I will get a wobble/vibration in the front end. The steering wheel will shake and if I brake while this happens, it makes it worse until I get below 25 or stop.

It wobbles and shakes bad enough that anyone else in the truck can feel it and feels as if the front wheel/s are going to fall off. I had the steering box, ball joints and hub bearings checked all ready but the guy who checked wasnt sure what could cause this. The steering on my truck in general seems just fine compared to anything else even with 188k miles.

Hub bearings are fairly new, has less than one year old Bilstein shocks. Truck is lowered almost 2" in the front with keys. Been this way for about a year now and has been find up until this point.

Really need some help on this one. Read some previous posts but nothing quite similar to my issue. Saw that could possibly be pitman or idler arm.

Thanks for any help!
Is your frame rusted badly or damaged? I'd go with pitman arm.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We had an old c2500 at work and it would do the same thing but more violent. Happened to be severely worn tie rod ends. I know you said you had the majority of the front end checked, but maybe it's a possibility.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 AM

Frame is not damaged but there are some areas that are pretty rusty. Not sure if it goes beyond heavy surface rust or not though.

From what I read I was thinking either pitman or idler arm or tie rods.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Frame is not damaged but there are some areas that are pretty rusty. Not sure if it goes beyond heavy surface rust or not though.

From what I read I was thinking either pitman or idler arm or tie rods.
I've seen some vids where when the wheel was turned the entire front frame was bending and flexing from rust that ate through. I think they tossed a camera under the truck to verify.

At 140k miles I rebuilt pretty much the entire suspension. Now I'm also looking at doing the steering parts soon. Sigh.

188k miles is a pretty good run on those parts though! (nice truck too)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:22 PM

Haven't had a chance to get under the truck but wouldn't surprise me if rust is part of the issue. The body is all ready getting bad at the cab corners. I would have a hard time selling the thing, but the rust makes me want to.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haven't had a chance to get under the truck but wouldn't surprise me if rust is part of the issue. The body is all ready getting bad at the cab corners. I would have a hard time selling the thing, but the rust makes me want to.
Tough call. Mine has a bit of rust, but I got it for $3700.

I'm in Fairfax BTW. Hello VA neighbor.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

I doubt the frame rust has anything to do with it.

I come from state where road salt is everywhere in the winter, I see worse rust buckets than I care too but the frames are never the big issue.

Your issue is like the death wobble in the jeeps but you don't have the front suspension like a dodge/jeep/ford. But I would inspect the idler and pitman arms, I've seen the pitman arm split on the steering gear.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 AM

Do our NON rack and pinion systems have a rag joint? Ive heard this could also be an issue if worn out.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by tgui
Tough call. Mine has a bit of rust, but I got it for $3700.

I'm in Fairfax BTW. Hello VA neighbor.
Glad to see another NOVA person around!

Im out in Warrenton.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Severe Wobble/shake/vibration over rough roads