Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best gear for 4l80e

Old 04-22-2017, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
It just cracks me up because we are all basically using the most powerful 300-400 cubic inch motor gm has ever made and bitching about a 2.48 first gear.

The 2.48 first gear in GM automatics has been around since what, the early 60's?

I don't know, its just funny to hear most talk about a swap from 4l60e to 4l80e is stupid cause it makes your car/truck "a total dog off the line". I'd be willing to bet that most of the cars/trucks featured on these forums (they aren't stock) would show little to no improvement in 60' performance going from a 4l80e to a 4l60e in a back to back test. If you have the right combo of torque converter, rear gear/tire.....the 2.48/1.48/1.00 gear set will likely be better on the track and the street than the 3.06/1.63/1.00 gear set.

Flame on........
This is true when it comes to actual performance. In a properly setup combo (converter included) you wont see any gain from slight gear changes. However, perceived performance is still worth something. When you gear or over-gear a combo, it sure "feels" faster, even though it may not actually be.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:37 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree. I just wanted to put it into perspective for the guys who didn't really know.

It kills me when I see guys burn 5 grand on a 4l60e. Kind of the same way I feel about the 14 bolt swaps for drag trucks, but thats just my opinion. I guess you guys could say hey dumb ****.....you just waisted a million dollars on a 4 bolt build and if that wasn't bad enough, decided to go procharger instead of turbo.......

Damn, I should probably refrain from voicing too much opinion anymore after that....

Search this Thread