Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone ever rebuild a 6l80e.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever rebuild a 6l80e.

I was just wondering if anyone here has rebuilt their 6l80 and if so how difficult was it plus what special tools did you need? I lost 4-6 in mine and was considering just buying the upgraded hard parts and clutches and rebuilding it myself. Any input would be great!
Old 01-03-2019, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve seen a couple of videos on YouTube.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you built other transmissions before?
I build all the time and don't find a 6l80e difficult at all...but if you've never done one you'll have a hell of a time.

You need most of the tools needed for any trans rebuild...but specific tools for the 6l80e are really only the HUGE snap ring pliers (I made my own). You won't get this trans apart or together without them.

Also, check out a thread I made over on LS1tech about a vacuum test rig for checking the valve body and pump. you need to make sure the Valve Body and Pump are working properly or you will have a bunch of issues come back.

Lastly...make sure you get a proper tune. The 6l80e is a synchronous shift transmission...meaning one clutch is engaging at the same time another clutch is disengaging. Bring one on before the other releases and you'll bind. Bring it on too slowly after the other releases and you'll "flare" This is very very tune dependent trans.
The following users liked this post:
Casey Turner (03-09-2021)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Have you built other transmissions before?
I build all the time and don't find a 6l80e difficult at all...but if you've never done one you'll have a hell of a time.

You need most of the tools needed for any trans rebuild...but specific tools for the 6l80e are really only the HUGE snap ring pliers (I made my own). You won't get this trans apart or together without them.

Also, check out a thread I made over on LS1tech about a vacuum test rig for checking the valve body and pump. you need to make sure the Valve Body and Pump are working properly or you will have a bunch of issues come back.

Lastly...make sure you get a proper tune. The 6l80e is a synchronous shift transmission...meaning one clutch is engaging at the same time another clutch is disengaging. Bring one on before the other releases and you'll bind. Bring it on too slowly after the other releases and you'll "flare" This is very very tune dependent trans.
Nope. Never have rebuilt or even torn apart a transmission but I figured if I can build motors and port heads and such, I should have the mechanical ability to build a transmission although they are somewhat more conplex. I figured if I got the ATSG manual and took a lot of pictures while disassembling it and labeled everything I should be ok. I’v been doing a lot of reading as well. I’d like to pull mine apart to see what broke and then start ordering what all I need. I’m actually wanting to sell my truck but I wanted to repair the trans first and throw a few upgrade at it while I’m there. It’s a turbo 5.3 making around 650rwhp. What are some of the necessary upgrades for the 6l80e? I know I’ll be doing the 4-5-6 billet clutch power hub with PATC power pack but I’m not sure what all else I should be upgrading. And I’ll have to check out your thread here in a minute.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're up for the task, then go for it. Make sure you can either fabricate your own tool, or fork over the money for the ones you need.

As for PATC...puke
Most of their stuff is just rebranded parts thrown in a different box

Raybestos makes drop-in module kits for the 6l80e look for those
Sonnax has a laundry list of goodies. I would for sure use their pressure regulator valve, line booster kit, and look into their clutch apply kits/pistons
Aside from that, replace every piston with a NEW one and every seal with a NEW one.
Also pay special attention to the pump (part of the bellhousing) as these can very easily get scored and worn out. A bad pump means a bad transmission. You can do everything else right...and a bad pump will still make the trans **** the bed. I see many of these that need machining to get them back in usable condition.
The following users liked this post:
Casey Turner (03-09-2021)
Old 01-07-2019, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep us updated