PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Anyone ever notice.. transmissions fail when you least expect them to? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/anyone-ever-notice-transmissions-fail-when-you-least-expect-them-452500/)

stevenc 11-27-2009 11:49 PM

Anyone ever notice.. transmissions fail when you least expect them to? (carnage pic)

I was cruising home from my girlfriends house, had to get on a cloverleaf to change freeways, come out of the cloverleaf give it some gas.. rev limiter.. there goes 3-4.

sigh

GMCtrk 11-27-2009 11:55 PM

"Torque Management is for little girls"

That's what caused it to go right there.

Zippy, who knows his shit, says it's all in the tuning when it comes to keeping the 4l60e alive. I've got mine tuned to my liking and it's holding up fine fast 150k.

stevenc 11-27-2009 11:56 PM

we actually have torque management on it right now. I'm pretty sure this failure was pressure related, me and justin have been trying to get the pressures right. The shop that did this trans (its under warranty), dicked around with the epc screw. It's also a 5 cluch OEM pack in 3-4.

I spoke with zippy about the tuning, and he says justin is pretty inline with his tables.

GMCtrk 11-28-2009 12:04 AM

Ahhh...."built" 4l60e. Excuse me, but I am VERY weary of anything "built." I usually try and stay OEM at all costs as the OEM stuff tends to last longer than "built" stuff.

Anyways, seeing as how it probably has a shift kit, shouldn't you have the trans pressures set to stock parameters?

stevenc 11-28-2009 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk (Post 4340455)
Ahhh...."built" 4l60e. Excuse me, but I am VERY weary of anything "built." I usually try and stay OEM at all costs as the OEM stuff tends to last longer than "built" stuff.

Anyways, seeing as how it probably has a shift kit, shouldn't you have the trans pressures set to stock parameters?

I haven't updated the sig in a while, as theres been a few transformations. The transmission that was considered 'built' lasted 50k miles before the rear ring gear cracked down the center, after that its been failure after failure.

This transmission is 'stock' with OEM Gm clutches minus beast shell and GM 5 pinion planets right now.

No shift kit, any longer.

The only other non-stock thing is the torque converter.

GMCtrk 11-28-2009 12:13 AM

In that case I'd recommend you use the stock tow/haul pressures. Those are presumably the ideal trans pressures set by GM with the trans under the heaviest load (towing). That's just my view on it.

I also run 40 or 60% TM, I can't remember for sure.

If you are getting advice from Zippy then I'd say you're good to go. He knows his shit.

stevenc 11-28-2009 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk (Post 4340458)
In that case I'd recommend you use the stock tow/haul pressures. Those are presumably the ideal trans pressures set by GM with the trans under the heaviest load (towing). That's just my view on it.

I also run 40 or 60% TM, I can't remember for sure.

If you are getting advice from Zippy then I'd say you're good to go. He knows his shit.

I agree 100% with you. My plan is to get the shop to honor is warranty get a transmission in it so I can drive it, toss stock pressures + 100% TM, and just enjoy having something that drives.

RandomHero 11-28-2009 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk (Post 4340455)
I usually try and stay OEM at all costs as the OEM stuff tends to last longer than "built" stuff.

I disagree with this part. There are some pretty damn good 4l60e upgrades out there that aren't OEM. I personally broke a 4th gear apply piston which caused the 2-4 band to burn up and my clutches to warp too. A simple $20 I should have changed cost me $600 in repairs. Since I've had mine rebuilt I've been lucky enough to have it work great.

Many things are best kept stock, but other things are better bought from another company.

stevenc 11-30-2009 12:53 PM

I broke the input drum.... Shop wont honor it, and the owner threatened to hit me.

DV2000NJ 11-30-2009 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by stevenc (Post 4342112)
I broke the input drum.... Shop wont honor it, and the owner threatened to hit me.

:jest:

I think we need some more details on this one. :D