PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   80 is in (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/80-458021/)

GMCtrk 03-01-2010 03:58 PM

80 is in

already got 900 ish miles on the 80 and Yank and it runs well. Haven't been able to really get on it due to a loose 60e in the bed and now transmission fluid everywhere (literally everywhere :turd:). Only problem I'm having is an intermittent howl in park and with it in gear idling. The second I give it gas the noise goes away. Ben, I rechecked the fluid and it's definitely overfull, now I wish I would have stuck that drain plug in :punch: The 60 was overfilled too but didn't seem to hurt anything. Managed 17.3 mpg with the cruise set to 70 at the best. 1 tank managed 16.0. RPM's up about 200-300 from the 60 cruising, gas mileage between the two is almost identical for a given RPM. Turning 75 with the 60 is the same as 70 with the 80. There really is no detectable parasitic loss with the 80 compared to the 60 just driving around and cruising, but it's really hard to compare with that Yank in there. I'm sure it would be a different story with the stock converter.

I set up the trans identically to how I set up the 60 to where I liked firm shifts you could feel. But the 80 has mushy shifts (can't even feel them), due to the converter I suspect? How high can I go on the line pressure before it becomes detrimental to the trans? Ive got it set up to GM's tow/haul line pressure specs now. I guess I might need that shift kit afterall.

fastnblu 03-01-2010 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk (Post 4407086)
...Ben, I rechecked the fluid and it's definitely overfull, now I wish I would have stuck that drain plug in :punch: The 60 was overfilled too but didn't seem to hurt anything. Managed 17.3 mpg with the cruise set to 70 at the best. 1 tank managed 16.0. RPM's up about 200-300 from the 60 cruising, gas mileage between the two is almost identical for a given RPM. Turning 75 with the 60 is the same as 70 with the 80. There really is no detectable parasitic loss with the 80 compared to the 60 just driving around and cruising, but it's really hard to compare with that Yank in there. I'm sure it would be a different story with the stock converter.

I set up the trans identically to how I set up the 60 to where I liked firm shifts you could feel. But the 80 has mushy shifts (can't even feel them), due to the converter I suspect? How high can I go on the line pressure before it becomes detrimental to the trans? Ive got it set up to GM's tow/haul line pressure specs now. I guess I might need that shift kit afterall.

Cool. I thought u already had an 80E? :ripped:
Was this a junkyard 80?

Neglible diff. in OD betw. 60E & 80E. I think it's .67 vs .75. If a miser on mileage, the 60 will squeak a tiny bit more judgin by that.
Get that 60E outta the bed: esp. if ya put 900+ miles. :nono: It's just extra wtg.

What's w/. mushy shifts, every gear? Used to that 60E 1st gear. You want that 60E back in, don't ya? :P
Same stall speed or different?

Ask Vince on line pressure maybe.

charcold-bowtie 03-01-2010 04:29 PM

A stall can eat up a lot of shift firmness

fastnblu 03-01-2010 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie (Post 4407109)
A stall can eat up a lot of shift firmness

:gotcha: Didn't know. I'll be finding out this summer when I hope to install. ;)

00Silv4.8 03-01-2010 04:45 PM

even if there was "parasitic loss" it would have to be fucking ridiculous to feel it.

At any rate, its nice to not worry about the trans anymore huh?

GMCtrk 03-01-2010 05:10 PM

Not home free yet, gotta figure out what this howl/creeking noise is. I need to get under it and see if anything is hitting anywhere or something. Just dont care to do it now. Maybe over the weekend.

silver-mod-o 03-01-2010 05:23 PM

take a cooler line loose and unplug the coils so it wont crank, stick the cooler line in a bucket or drain pan, spin it over.... fliud level goes down ;)

silver-mod-o 03-01-2010 05:28 PM

and FWIW, I still hate my 80E... back to a 60E, here I come :D mines well built, stock converter, with a stall, lots of power, little power... etc. I've had it with lots of different conditions and it hasnt shown me anything a 60E cant accomplish. I'm glad you got what youre looking for GMC... I'm just not into lugging around weight and mass for no reason, not with my next build at least ;)

glad it got ya home in one piece. you can firm it up a lot without hurting anything. but a shift kit is the proper way to do it.

GMCtrk 03-01-2010 05:29 PM

yeah good idea.

Just got that damn window/door fixed too. The freaking cable on the regulator had wrapped itself around one of the pulleys??? I have no clue how that's even possible. Anyways, got a new regulator for free and got it back in and running.

00ChevyScott 03-01-2010 05:48 PM

How you liking driving around with the converter? Was it anything like you were expecting?