Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

6l90e dying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6l90e dying?

Took my truck to get retune, turned out I'm having wastegate issues so I had to get the truck back to fix them. Driving it home and to town ounce I now have serious issues. 2-3 shift has a little flare, I've read that's normal. 3-4 has a major slip, normal driving it will shift into gear and rev up, let out it will drive in the gear fine. 4-5 & 5-6 will slip the same but not as bad. Tuner said he never got to my trans and still had the tune I brought it in on, so im guessing it's junk not a tune issue?. Minimal info on the net on building one up. Torque converter is in the mail, but what about the rest of it? Clutches? Shafts? Valve body? Solenoid? Fighting trans temp with a faulty fan, can't get it to read above 130° on the dash. Fluid is dark. But was when I started as well, was planning on changing but this happened. Also very small leak from bell housing, could be trans or motor can't tell yet.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm no transmission expert but if it's slipping that bad with no tuning changings I would stay it's already burned up the clutches.

Likely from poor tuning before hand or just bad luck.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep that's what I said above, I'm pretty sure it's dead. Was a **** poor tune job. Truck made a very steady 16psi and 776rwhp. Could barely start it as well . Now with half the size injectors it was pegging over 25psi with the better tuning, and starts just by bumping the key . Want the hp back in the mid 700 area, and everything to hold up there.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:42 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I realize this is an old thread but I'd be interested in the 6L90E