PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   4WD transfer case delete help!!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/4wd-transfer-case-delete-help-506750/)

dariel17 08-25-2012 02:04 PM

4WD transfer case delete help!!!

Hi i have a 99 silverado 4wd front differential delete i want make my truck into 2wd bc my my truck feels like it wants to engage on the highway after goin 55 mph anyways is it possible to do? Help please

Atomic 08-25-2012 02:21 PM

It would be a lot easier to just disconnect the actuator on the front diff...

dariel17 08-25-2012 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 4979740)
It would be a lot easier to just disconnect the actuator on the front diff...

I already did i took off both fuses and still same thing...im thinking maybe a bad bearing on differential?

TIM Z 08-25-2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by dariel17 (Post 4979812)
I already did i took off both fuses and still same thing...im thinking maybe a bad bearing on differential?

How is a bad bearing in your front diff effecting your truck if it's not in your truck?

I'm sorry I'm confused and want to help, please post again what the current status of your truck is/ what you removed.

You can remove the T case and swap in a 2wheel drive output shaft in your trans mission and prob have to have the driveshaft modded.

Why do you not want 4x4?

dmelvin 08-25-2012 10:21 PM

You mean your 4WD is trying to engage? I'm assuming it's push button? If you've pulled power to the actuator and it's still doing something it's not supposed to... I'd be looking for a different problem.

brent1976 08-25-2012 11:05 PM

How does it "feel like its trying to engage 4wd"? Explain better please.

dariel17 08-26-2012 01:23 AM

I bought a new encouter for the differential thinking that was the problem but no then went a bought a new switch and still same thing so frustrading when i drive it tries to engauge and service 4wd light comes on i dont know what else to do thats why i want to get rid of front defferential if possible thanks guys....:confused:

thunder550 08-26-2012 09:05 AM

It's going to cost a lot less money to diagnose and fix your 4wd problem than it will to remove 4wd. Removing 4wd involves swapping output shafts and tailshaft housings on the trans, which means pulling all of the guts out and reinstalling, removing the transfer case, dealing with all of the "service 4wd" light issues, which I'm not even sure how you would do that. Have to get a new driveshaft, remove the front diff, and I think even get new front hubs, as I don't believe that you can run the 4wd front hubs without the half shafts being connected to the front diff. After all that, you'll have issues with resale value if and when you decide to sell it. That will scare away most potential buyers.

dariel17 08-26-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by thunder550 (Post 4979978)
It's going to cost a lot less money to diagnose and fix your 4wd problem than it will to remove 4wd. Removing 4wd involves swapping output shafts and tailshaft housings on the trans, which means pulling all of the guts out and reinstalling, removing the transfer case, dealing with all of the "service 4wd" light issues, which I'm not even sure how you would do that. Have to get a new driveshaft, remove the front diff, and I think even get new front hubs, as I don't believe that you can run the 4wd front hubs without the half shafts being connected to the front diff. After all that, you'll have issues with resale value if and when you decide to sell it. That will scare away most potential buyers.

How bout can i take off the driveshaft that connects to the front differential and front axels its just so frustrading and I have no time to take it to the shop to get error codes... If i could just disconnect it im fine with that.. Thanks

Johnmaster 08-27-2012 04:09 PM

Why not, worth a shot...