Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Soft Shitty Brakes on my 2000 1500 Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Shitty Brakes on my 2000 1500 Series

Ok I am about feed up with near death experiences due to the horrid braking system on the 2000 Era 1500 Series!! Is there anything simple like Steel Braided lines that can be done to improve this scenario? I have already upgraded to slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors but that is to only help with Fade when towing, it did Zero for petal feel and response. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

upgrade to 14" fronts and the stainless lines and it should stop just fine... I havent done the lines yet myself but the larger rotors have made a good difference in stopping but the pedal feel is still soft. The lines should help with that part.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Hydroboost install
Old 03-03-2011, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

My OBS responded VERY well to stainless steel lines.

Only other option beyond rotors/pads/SS lines is a big brake kit (calipers, rotors and master cylinders in varying combinations), or if you want, (and if you have drums like I do) a rear disc conversion, which I plan on doing soon, or hydroboost, as posted above
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a Carquest near you? If you do, I can give you a brake pad part number that will help you.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

There was a thread posted here a couple months back about putting Tahoe/Suburban rear calipers and rotors on in place of the stock tiny little calipers. Apparently you can get loaded calipers with the brackets fairly cheap then the rotors of your choice, stock, drilled and slotted, whatever. IMO the front brakes aren't sized all that bad for the application, you just need more force behind your foot. For having 33s my brakes aren't half bad compared to some I've driven. My dads 2002 was horrible. I'm going to put hydroboost on mine pretty soon and hopefully it makes it good enough to not mess with anything else since my pads are practically new all the way around.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Do you have a Carquest near you? If you do, I can give you a brake pad part number that will help you.
Yea go ahead with it....Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oldred95
There was a thread posted here a couple months back about putting Tahoe/Suburban rear calipers and rotors on in place of the stock tiny little calipers. Apparently you can get loaded calipers with the brackets fairly cheap then the rotors of your choice, stock, drilled and slotted, whatever. IMO the front brakes aren't sized all that bad for the application, you just need more force behind your foot. For having 33s my brakes aren't half bad compared to some I've driven. My dads 2002 was horrible. I'm going to put hydroboost on mine pretty soon and hopefully it makes it good enough to not mess with anything else since my pads are practically new all the way around.

Sounds interesting and simple! I really do not want to take on the whole Hydroboost conversion if I dont have too! I think I will strat with Steel Braided lines and this potential option. Do you happen to have the article link for this? Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Braided lines helped big time with the brake pedal feel and some in stopping distance. I have slotted rotors on mine and like you said they help with brake fade but thats about it. The only other things you can do is the hydroboost mod (next on my list) and then bigger rotors. Im excited about the hydroboost mod because you can find the parts for it pretty cheap (junk yards) and its a pretty straight forward mod. There are a few detailed threads on here with picturs and step by step instructions. For me bigger rotors will come in after the hydroboost setup is installed.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukoncole
Yea go ahead with it....Thanks
"CARQUEST Fleet Duty & Police Pads by Raybestos"

Use GMD785F for the front brake pads, and use GMD792F for the rear brake pads.

These will work well with your vented rotors, and stop much better than other brands I've tried. They are semi-metallic and they are pretty aggressive. The stainless brake hoses are also a good idea.

Hope this helps you.

Quick Reply: Soft Shitty Brakes on my 2000 1500 Series