Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e rebuilt not quite right! (need some help)

Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 4l80e rebuilt not quite right! (need some help)

so i rebuilt a 4l80e trans all new raybestos stage 1 clutches, steels, new pistons, seals, replace some hard parts, bushings and full transgo HD2 shift kit

trans is working all forward gears shift nice and crisp when left in drive, i can manually go true the gears the shift that is not as crisp is the 2-3 shift when manually shifting very hesitation, reverse is a little weird it feels like its dragging or like the brake is being applied lightly it will roll back a little then stop? i can give gas and it will move as long as i am pushing the peddle but when i let off it will come to a stop on its own, not a hard stop but it does stop. when in neutral truck will creep forward on its own if i rev up the engine it will move forward faster not like its in gear just a really slow creep, drove it about 10 miles home from the garage i did the install at temps never got up passed 130ish about where the last one use to sit, got aggressive a few times no noises smells or visitations

any of this mean something to you all?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The symptom you are having indicated that the forward clutch or possibly the intermediate clutch is being applied while in reverse ultimately creating a transbrake. Possible crossleak in pump or vb could also be in the plate as well the multilayer plate has been known for getting drilling fragments between the plate. Could also have the forward pack to tight. Or the forward clutches are welded together
Old 03-27-2019, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Do you have the right filter?

Is your torque converter installed properly?

Asking for a friend
Old 03-27-2019, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by arthursc2

Asking for a friend
And this is why no one gives a **** about these goofy *** forums or you for that matter. I give the guy a technical answer and some keyboard warrior replies go back to playing with your gen 1 camel hump headed 327
Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2

Asking for a friend
LOL!

Almost spit my coffee out.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

That is actually a good question though are you sure the pump is correct as there are 3 different pumps for the 4l80e and they are not interchangeable
Old 03-27-2019, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Transbuilderguy
And this is why no one gives a **** about these goofy *** forums or you for that matter. I give the guy a technical answer and some keyboard warrior replies go back to playing with your gen 1 camel hump headed 327
Was just a question. Well, 2 questions
Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not sure what the history/back story is here...but converter install, fluid level, and shifter adjustment are 3 of the most COMMON reasons a built trans takes a ****. So if you're making that a laughing matter...as in saying they don't matter...you're dead wrong.

The amount of customers that are too dense (or not smart enough) to check/properly set all 3 is baffling to me. And it is SOOO easy to tell when they screw it up.

-6 clutch forward stack, with a 200psi line boost/spring setup...and the forwards are toasted...guess what, your shifter was out of adjustment.

-4 clutch intermediate setup and they're wiped out after 3 or 4 passes in a 900hp car...yep...your fluid level is trash

-worn out face on the pump from where the gear dug its way in...yep...your converter install/spacing was f*cked
Then customers get all up in arms and expect you to fix it for free...nothing you can do as a builder about a customer that's too stupid to install a trans properly or too lazy to take the time to get those 3 things right.

That's the end of my rant
Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I'm not sure what the history/back story is here...but converter install, fluid level, and shifter adjustment are 3 of the most COMMON reasons a built trans takes a ****. So if you're making that a laughing matter...as in saying they don't matter...you're dead wrong.

The amount of customers that are too dense (or not smart enough) to check/properly set all 3 is baffling to me. And it is SOOO easy to tell when they screw it up.

-6 clutch forward stack, with a 200psi line boost/spring setup...and the forwards are toasted...guess what, your shifter was out of adjustment.

-4 clutch intermediate setup and they're wiped out after 3 or 4 passes in a 900hp car...yep...your fluid level is trash

-worn out face on the pump from where the gear dug its way in...yep...your converter install/spacing was f*cked
Then customers get all up in arms and expect you to fix it for free...nothing you can do as a builder about a customer that's too stupid to install a trans properly or too lazy to take the time to get those 3 things right.

That's the end of my rant
They are trying to troll me from another thread on here where a customer broke his pump had another shop install a pump they used wrong filter caused more damage I fixed unit afterwards customer made more power than he originally talked about had wrong converter for that power level which I told him it was wasted the trans again with the under rated converter fixed it agin for him after the bearing in converter came apart which I said it would afterwards he had lockup issues with new converter somehow this was all my fault that's what the backstory is. Even the OP who I am trying to help was part of the trolling as well
Old 03-27-2019, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

same filter that was in it was replace with a new one, the converter is the correct one for a 4l80e its a 2400/2500 stall, its installed right im sure of this it was set back 1 inch and i was able to spin it after the trans was fastened to the engine, im not a pro trans guy i could have F'ed something up i have installed and swapped a few transmission a long the way im confident the install is good, this is my 1st time being inside a trans after taring it a part i took all the internals to a trans supply house had it all looked over everything and told me what was good and bad i replaced more then what he said was needed, i did air check and every thing was working as it should as far as i could tell but again this is my 1st time in a trans (was a bucket list thing)

since i posted this i put about 25-30 miles on the trans, reverse is no longer sticking it will roll as long as i keep it in reverse gear, all forward gears are shifting really nice firm crisp fast shifts, @ WOT 1-2 & 2-3 are sweet have not checked 3-4 since 2-3 is around 105mph, putting it in the lower gears it does engine brake. so far it has not gotten hotter then 140ish even with a little aggressive driving, checked fluid level a few times with the truck on level ground its good now i had to take about 1 quart out as it was a little high

right now things that's got me worried, when in neutral rolling slowly as it comes to stop i feel a very slight chatter, vibration, pulse not sure what the best way to describe it, is its just not 100% smooth only felt at like less then 2 mph and stops when it stops rolling, while in neutral if i hold the rpm's around 2k it will creep forward longer i hold the rpms the more speed it picks up when i say speed im talking like 1 or 2 mph and last there is a little of a pump whine with rpm's.

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
and shifter adjustment
whats the correct way to adjust the shifter linkage?

Last edited by stroker87; 03-27-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l80e rebuilt not quite right! (need some help)