Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help me pick a converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Help me pick a converter

Truck is a 2006 5.3L with the following mods to consider:
  • 76mm turbo
  • Built 4L80e
  • 4.11 gears with 29.5" tires
I think because it will be turbo, that the consensus is triple disk for WOT lockup, correct? I need to know which stall speed to go after for my order.

Truck is my daily driver, so keep that in mind.

Driving - tons of stop and go 45mins each way commute. To try and describe what my I-35 commute is like, imagine a highway where there's been an accident and everyone just crawls along at 10mph... That's my daily commute in Austin. Takes 45mins to go 15miles. BUT there is also plenty of 60-80mph highway driving when I get out of Austin into the country where I live. But 75% of my day is spent less than 40mph.

I'm a manual trans guy so I have never even driven a stalled vehicle before, so I am looking for experience from you guys. Thanks in advance
Old 03-02-2017, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

I should also note what I'm looking for from the truck performance-wise. It will spend it's entire life on the street, but I might visit the track once... But even that is a stretch because I won't have a setup worth launching at the track so not really a point in that because the numbers would be pitiful.

I am more of a roll into the throttle kind of guy. I don't like to nail it from a stop light, I like to be moving first before laying the power down, but that's just how I drive. Turbo trucks obviously lack on the traction department, so anything at low speed is basically pointless. Hope that helps answer some critical questions
Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

My opinion.....

Get something in the 3200-3500 range. About the time that turbo hits full spool you'll be at the flash speed of the converter. That's a good thing.

You could go higher or lower....it just depends on what your expectations are.

Those gears with the 80e will help a lot but the converter is going to looser than stock.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

I also messaged the trans builder this morning, and he said the same thing. Low to mid 3xxx... I appreciate the response and I think I have my answer.

Now I just need to rip the band aid off and order this trans/converter and cry at the price later haha
Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
I also messaged the trans builder this morning, and he said the same thing. Low to mid 3xxx... I appreciate the response and I think I have my answer.

Now I just need to rip the band aid off and order this trans/converter and cry at the price later haha
tell me about it,

I've got about $6k in my RPM Level 7 60e and FTI single disk.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by madmann26
tell me about it,

I've got about $6k in my RPM Level 7 60e and FTI single disk.
Ouch, I won't be that much but I did just order a trick stage 3 kit so total cost for both is making my bank account look slim
Old 03-02-2017, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would not go that high, I had a 3200 stall and it was too loose. my drive is similar to yours but more cruising and the trans gets hot during the summer, spinning that converter so fast to get the truck moving in stop and go. I went back to a I6 trailblazer converter and have around a 2300 stall speed now and better milage. It works great for me because I track once a year and daily 6 days a week. the truck is more fun to drive in my eyes even though I may loose a little in the 1/4 mile from a higher launch.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Well on a side note I've talked myself out of going built trans and triple disk. I'm going to source low mileage junkyard 80e with hd2 shift kit. I'll be stock 5.3 turbo on 93, no meth. I don't see the need for a 1k HP trans and triple disk at this point. I'll be lucky to break 550hp.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Turbo09
Personally I would not go that high, I had a 3200 stall and it was too loose. my drive is similar to yours but more cruising and the trans gets hot during the summer, spinning that converter so fast to get the truck moving in stop and go. I went back to a I6 trailblazer converter and have around a 2300 stall speed now and better milage. It works great for me because I track once a year and daily 6 days a week. the truck is more fun to drive in my eyes even though I may loose a little in the 1/4 mile from a higher launch.
that is good to know, it gets over 100 here for 3 months straight so temps are critical. I plan to completely bypass radiator and run the 40k unit behind the intercooler
Old 03-03-2017, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
that is good to know, it gets over 100 here for 3 months straight so temps are critical. I plan to completely bypass radiator and run the 40k unit behind the intercooler
On the hottest days here in GA, temps might get to 100 on some very rare occasions but I've never seen my trans get above 180 on hot days and I have mine plumbed inline with the radiator.