Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Does this look like a $780 converter?

Old 12-06-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this look like a $780 converter? Precision (of New Hampton) is JUNK

Click to see larger:

This converter was manufactured by Precision...at least that's what I was led to believe. The operative part was three words not mentioned until it failed ("Of New Hampton"). So the company talks big about their high performance converters and how much work they put into them:

Our furnace brazing process completely laminates the turbine and the impeller.

This effectively makes your converter one piece, leaving no weak link in your converter to cause a failure. The majority of our competitors weld their converters.Every tab on a Precision racing torque converter is of equal strength to any other; all due to the furnace brazing process.
Then there was this:

There was a 13 gram weight sloppily tacked to the outside before I cut it open. My *** you balanced it to 1 gram. Oh, look at that piston! I'm fairly certain Circle-D balances each of their parts to much tighter specs. False advertising:

Whether a converter is welded or furnace brazed, your converter NEEDS to be REBALANCED INSIDE and OUT for peak efficiency and to eliminate any vibration. Most competitors do not even have the balancing equipment!
Precision of New Hampton, Inc. is the ONLY COMPANY IN THE INDUSTRY that balances each individual part to within 1 gram.
Oh, and they don't warranty their high performance converters. But what do they say?

Trade Secrets Precision racing side performs so many other unique applications while building racing converters. The competitors DON'T and consequently, Precision has patented the process on these special practices. Those features combined with UNBEATABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE are what makes our racing converters the ONLY CHOICE for your race car.
(the source for these quotes came from here: Untitled Document )

Needless to say they do a shitty job of knocking off Precision's name and converters.

Last edited by Suburbazine; 12-07-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks!!!I would never buy or sell a used converter unless it was cut and cleaned and drop shipped from the manufacturer.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

This was a NEW converter when I bought it. But it looks an awful lot like a rebuild right? It started life stalling at 4000 and it died at 5100.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

So this is a knock off of Precision?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
So this is a knock off of Precision?
I think so. The company identifies themselves as "Precision of New Hampton" however they also refer to themselves as "Precision" (whereas Precision Industries is also called "Precision"). My builder apparently didn't know there was a difference when I asked for a Precision converter and figured the company he bought regular converters from was the same as the one I was referring to. So when the converter came out of the transmission (I didn't see it go in) and I saw it was blue instead of pink...there was a discussion on what company it came from. He insisted it was Precision like I had asked, and pulled out an invoice to prove it. It turned out he was right...except not.

So I replaced it with a Circle-D and brought it back home to open up and inspect. It had its quirks and I suspected the build was sub-par, but not as shitty as it turned out to be. All that half-assed brazing, bent fins, shattered sprag, sloppy welding...I'd have hoped a company that was bragging about their converters and charged so much money would have done better.

It only had 19,000 miles on it.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:55 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So was this considered a billet single? I'm only asking for my own knowledge and I'm looking at a triple disk from circle d - I'm going off the " you get what you pay for" term people speak of
Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow, I have had a couple Precision Industries converters ( the real ones) and I love them.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
So was this considered a billet single? I'm only asking for my own knowledge and I'm looking at a triple disk from circle d - I'm going off the " you get what you pay for" term people speak of
That is definately a stamped (not billet) lockup clutch disc.

This is what a billet piece (single disc) would look like.
Friction side:
Name:  3DAD17FD-FCBB-403E-BA4F-1CD21888A709.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  95.4 KB

Back side:
Name:  969C1A85-6A9E-4AAB-B925-EC863CF2687B.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  68.0 KB
Old 12-07-2014, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I've put a few of these in because the owner thought they were precision industry converters.. Nope they are junk. One truck with a cammed 6.0, 4.56 gears, 150 shot of nitrous on slicks cut a 2.2 60'.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember several people in the Duramax community getting burned by purchasing those converters not realizing it wasn't a true Precision Industries converter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does this look like a $780 converter?