Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80/AWD confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by About20ninj45
Where to and hour much if you don't mind me asking?
Time2kill $465 using my input
Old 07-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get why some people would want to go with the Nv149 but coming from someone that has over 600rw going to my bw4481 it might be an open ended transfer case but its all about how your truck/Suv suspension is setup . Hell ...I just turned my air ride off and my Yukon Denali Squats and shoots... and not only has my bw4481 never missed a beat it has vicious launch especially if I just foot brake it a little , maybe to 2400rpm , i'm barely loading up the converter at that point . My converter flashes at 3000rpm . My truck starts to spool up at 3200rpm so within 15-20 feet that train is starts to choo-choo-ing. The only thing about that transfer case is you need to make some kind of changes or adjustments to your truck to get your best launchs , basically get it sitting a little lower than stock and to squat even justr a little helps allot especially if your rigs really making some power cause if you don't you better be holding on to the wheel with both hands cause you'll start out in the left lane , no your in the right lane , no wait ...I'm back in the left lane...lol...I'm in the middle of an 80e swap right now and upgrading my transfer case to the bw4485 which is just the 4481's stronger big brother upgrade they started using around 07 08 I believe in anything Escalades , Yukon awd xls' and Sierra denalis' . Besides having the 32 spline input shaft that mates it right up to the 80e and you no longer need any adapters , you'll still need to modify your crossmember and change you driveshaft lengths ALTHOUGH i'm checking on driveshaft lengths for the 08 Gmc 2500 setups...Prob wont get lucky but we'll see , the bw4485 has larger gears and a wider chain so this bitch is one tuff transfer case . I'm hoping to finish it up on Friday next week...So my point is , don't discount the AWD Bw T/C you'll be surprised how well they can actually work when you make some adjustments to your Rig...I saved a little money compared to going thru the Nv149 route . My BW4485 cost me $400 used . I opened her up , inspected everything , made sure all was good , no big slop with chain , threw some goop on her , sealed her up . I definitely saved some money going this route and I certainly saved alot of time and Agg waiting for parts that you don't need if you go this route....BUT it's all a preference...I prefer this way...
Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SDjeff619
Time2kill $465 using my input
Glad to hear he is still doing them, where did you contact him? I have one in mine but got it off him 4 or so years ago.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Glad to hear he is still doing them, where did you contact him? I have one in mine but got it off him 4 or so years ago.
I sent him a PM on the SSS forums asking him to text me and hit me up within a couple days. Speaking of which,I need to find out the status of my input.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitageorge
I get why some people would want to go with the Nv149 but coming from someone that has over 600rw going to my bw4481 it might be an open ended transfer case but its all about how your truck/Suv suspension is setup . Hell ...I just turned my air ride off and my Yukon Denali Squats and shoots... and not only has my bw4481 never missed a beat it has vicious launch especially if I just foot brake it a little , maybe to 2400rpm , i'm barely loading up the converter at that point . My converter flashes at 3000rpm . My truck starts to spool up at 3200rpm so within 15-20 feet that train is starts to choo-choo-ing. The only thing about that transfer case is you need to make some kind of changes or adjustments to your truck to get your best launchs , basically get it sitting a little lower than stock and to squat even justr a little helps allot especially if your rigs really making some power cause if you don't you better be holding on to the wheel with both hands cause you'll start out in the left lane , no your in the right lane , no wait ...I'm back in the left lane...lol...I'm in the middle of an 80e swap right now and upgrading my transfer case to the bw4485 which is just the 4481's stronger big brother upgrade they started using around 07 08 I believe in anything Escalades , Yukon awd xls' and Sierra denalis' . Besides having the 32 spline input shaft that mates it right up to the 80e and you no longer need any adapters , you'll still need to modify your crossmember and change you driveshaft lengths ALTHOUGH i'm checking on driveshaft lengths for the 08 Gmc 2500 setups...Prob wont get lucky but we'll see , the bw4485 has larger gears and a wider chain so this bitch is one tuff transfer case . I'm hoping to finish it up on Friday next week...So my point is , don't discount the AWD Bw T/C you'll be surprised how well they can actually work when you make some adjustments to your Rig...I saved a little money compared to going thru the Nv149 route . My BW4485 cost me $400 used . I opened her up , inspected everything , made sure all was good , no big slop with chain , threw some goop on her , sealed her up . I definitely saved some money going this route and I certainly saved alot of time and Agg waiting for parts that you don't need if you go this route....BUT it's all a preference...I prefer this way...

What year is your truck/suv?
Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Teching In

its an 04 Yukon Denali
Old 10-19-2017, 10:05 PM

Hey boss can you shoot me his info i need one made!