Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Good or Bad to bypass trans cooler in radiator??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:32 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good or Bad to bypass trans cooler in radiator??

It seems like I have been researching transmission upgrades & transmission cooling to death, while I wait for my transmission repair/converter repair. I have read about people bypassing the stock cooler in the radiator and only using the Tru-Kool 40k. Apparently, that might actually be bad idea.

Transmission Cooling: You must have a transmission cooler in your radiator regardless of what someone has told you for the transmission to last. Auxiliary coolers are just that, in addition to. Water cools 32 times better (faster) than air always, period. The transmission fluid comes directly from the torque converter at a much higher temperature than the water in your radiator and is cooled to the water temperature fast. Then it goes to the auxiliary cooler to be cooled far below the water temperature. If you don't need a cooler in your radiator why does GM spend all that money doing so? If you wanted to cool a red hot piece of steel fast would you stick it in water or air, see the point. For the best cooling you need both water and air cooling for the transmission to be cooler than the motor.

Makes sense to me....... What do you think?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't need a cooler in your radiator why does GM spend all that money doing so?
that's one of the lamest arguments I've seen in print....geez, we'd have no mods at all with thinking like that

Please include link to that statemnt.

Honestly I have never heard anyone complain of failures either way... it's the fluid temperature that counts so if it's cool enough it's good, either way.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I have mine bypassed and running two decent size coolers and mine normally stays around 150 and gets up to around 190 racing.
The following users liked this post:
Sharty_McQueef (08-09-2022)
Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone always talks about cooling transmission fluid but in extreme climates I think it's equally important to put heat into it. That's the primary reason I circulate it through the radiator also.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
It seems like I have been researching transmission upgrades & transmission cooling to death, while I wait for my transmission repair/converter repair. I have read about people bypassing the stock cooler in the radiator and only using the Tru-Kool 40k. Apparently, that might actually be a bad idea.

Transmission Cooling: You must have a transmission cooler in your radiator regardless of what someone has told you for the transmission to last. Auxiliary coolers are just that, in addition to. Water cools 32 times better (faster) than air always, period. The transmission fluid comes directly from the torque converter at a much higher temperature than the water in your radiator and is cooled to the water temperature fast. Then it goes to the auxiliary cooler to be cooled far below the water temperature. If you don't need a cooler in your radiator why does GM spend all that money doing so? If you wanted to cool a red hot piece of steel fast would you stick it in water or air, see the point. For the best cooling you need both water and air cooling for the transmission to be cooler than the motor.

Makes sense to me....... What do you think?
I never heard that water cools 32x better (faster) than air. I'm not gonna dispute that. But, cooling steel by putting in water to cool also tempers it tho. Right? So it's accomplishes 2 things. I'm not wanting to discuss whether it tempers or not, but the thing I'm thinkin is, once it's dipped in water, now that water holds a higher amount of heat / goes up in temperature. In a shop, who cares? But on our trucks, we need to reject that increased heat. So we look for ways to do just that.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have always heard that in cold climates (like alaska) you want to keep the cooler in the radiator to add heat when its cold but it is not needed in warmer climates (like texas)
Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

That is the most absurd and ridiculous article on the matter that I have ever read. GM runs it that way from the factory because it is actually cheaper for them to do it that way and it uses the heat from the radiator to get the fluid up to temperature when you first start driving.

This is an economical solution for GM and works well for the average user. However, a cooler like a tru-cool 40k bypassing the radiator is superior in every way. Once it gets up to temperature it is not fighting against the heat the radiator is putting out and soaking into the transmission fluid. With the stock radiator cooler in town traffic would push my temperatures up to 250. With the tru-cool I never break 165. Now explain to me which is more efficient? Transmission temperatures don't lie.

Just because GM does something a particular way does not mean it is the best way. It just happens to work well enough for the average user and that is all GM is concerned about.
The following users liked this post:
Sharty_McQueef (08-09-2022)
Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The question was not about whether or not to use an aux cooler.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I know. I was using a tru-cool hypothetically I should have just left it at bypassing the radiator.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 454navyss
i have always heard that in cold climates (like alaska) you want to keep the cooler in the radiator to add heat when its cold but it is not needed in warmer climates (like texas)
I forgot to mention that, thanks!
I hope that anyone else that posts in this thread or others on this type of subject clarify if they live in TX, FL or warmer climates. I mean if you're like me, & don't have that in your avatar.

On a DD in northern areas, it's important to those people. As to if they route thru rad or skip it. Also, on a cold weather bypass, if left out, I kinda figure they live where it 's warmer. I left my bypass off, BTW. I don't think I'll have any problem, but if I do, I have it & I'm gonna give that person a ...

Originally Posted by HoveyBayou
GM runs it that way from the factory because it is actually cheaper for them to do it that way and it uses the heat from the radiator to get the fluid up to temperature when you first start driving.

This is an economical solution for GM and works well for the average user. However, a cooler like a tru-cool 40k bypassing the radiator is superior in every way. Once it gets up to temperature it is not fighting against the heat the radiator is putting out and soaking into the transmission fluid.

Just because GM does something a particular way does not mean it is the best way. It just happens to work well enough for the average user and that is all GM is concerned about.
GM wants what works well for avg. user. & is cheaper. 2 things they're concerned about.
Proof of they cater to avg. consumer? Remember the RCSB SS w/. a 6 spd., roll up windows & rubber floor GM came out w/.? ME NEITHER!!!

Last edited by fastnblu; 06-16-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Good or Bad to bypass trans cooler in radiator??