Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shift kits And servo question *new guy*

Old 03-07-2019, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift kits And servo question *new guy*

I’m new to the Performance aspect of things, and I’ve always been told the only stupid questions are the ones you don’t ask. I finally decided to play with my truck, I have an 05 Sierra z71, recently bought a vette servo and will be installing this weekend, any suggestions or comments about the billet super 4th? I read that it will work with the servo I have. Will it make a noticeable difference? And also what are your thoughts about the TransGo HD2 shift kit? Also I have purchased tru-cool 40k trans cooler. Kinda wanna do everything at one time
Old 03-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

4th super servo will work, but it will be a waste of money on your truck unless you're trying to do WOT 4th gear shifts...or trying to tow the world in 4th.
I have multiple 450hp trucks out there on the stock 4th servo.

The HD2 kit is fine. But you'll be wasting your money. The only notable differences between the HD2 kit and the standard Sk4l60 kit is the following
-"gear command" 1-2 shift valve (I typically recommend against this...there is really no need/benefit to it unless you want to downshift from 3rd to 1st at a stupid speed
-7-cs spring kit for the 3/4...you have to disassemble the trans to install these
-tight wound purple spring...this just blocks the 3-2 downshift valve (outboard valve right next to the 3/2 control solenoid)...you can use a small piece of brake line to achieve the same thing for free
-Stupid 1-2 accumulator springs. These are just dumb and transgo only includes them for the guys that want that "bang" of a hard shift into 2nd at low throttle
-boost valve...don't even bother using the transgo boost valve or their pressure regulator springs...get a sonnax LB1 kit for the boost valve. Much better product in my opinion.
-slightly different accumulator spring setups. The SK kit setup works just fine.

While you're in doing all this, I highly recommend the sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve. This leaves the overruns on all the time when you're in D3 shifter position. Great for towing or beating on the truck...it helps support the input sprag and it really helps clean up the WOT 2-3 shift (as long as you're making that shift when in D3 shifter position)

Also, while you're in there...use the sonnax reverse abuse bore plug. It is oversize from stock by about .0015 and it has a smaller retaining pin bore. This helps seal big 3rd gear leaks, and the smaller pin bore keeps it from oscillating.
Use the sonnax o-ring end plugs as well. BIG leaks around those. You can always tell when vacuum testing a valve body.

The money you save by using the SK kit rather than the HD2 should cover the sonnax abuse bore plug kit and the o ring end plugs.
Last thing I would recommend is switching the accumulators to all aluminum. The stock ones will likely have plastic accumulators. They are known to crack (especially with increased line pressure like you will get with a shift kit) These accumulators are pretty cheap insurance. A cracked one will cause lots of issues.