Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Another 14 bolt SF 6 lug thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another 14 bolt SF 6 lug thread!

Hey guys I'm interested in some feedback. I came across a H2 chassis for next to nothing. Was considering using portions of the frame and axles under my 04 1500 suburban since Its well yea it's broke everything from the tcase back since I put 35's and a mid built lq9/4l80e in it. However I'm in the middle of a different project which is my truck listed in my sig. Currently going through a pretty serious transformation, most of which I'm fabricating myself. I have more time than money and I love to build. I've built my C notches, drop shackles, flipped front leaf spring mounts with some minor fab work, building LCA"s to get my 4" drop up front while narrowing the front track width to get correct camber and to help my wheels clear my fenders. During her time off the road she's getting a satin white paint job too! Anyways I've got the 14 SF axle from the H2 with 4.10's and an Eaton E locker. For those unfamiliar it's a coil sprung axle. The Silverado is obvs a leaf sprung rear end. The past few days I've been considering the suspension of the truck quite a bit, this project continues to evolve and I figure no matter how long it takes I'm going to do what I want, within my financial means because it's not my DD and it keeps me out of trouble (building in the shop) actually gave up the beers on this one! Had to or it would never get complete or it would always be a 90% er Anyways back to the suspension. Since I'm building the LCA's I'm considering building them for coil overs. I'd like the truck to handle well. It wheel hopped like crazy I can't believe the 10 bolt hasn't exploded yet. I know what needs to be done back there. 3 link or something in that direction. Which got me thinking about swapping out the 14 bolt from the H2 which has the majority of what I need for a 4 link w panhard. The Silverado and suburban frames are similar dimensionally and it shouldn't be too hard to get a baseline geometry wise for a starting point in regard to the link mounts on the Silverado. Seams like this would be a good candidate for a 4 link coil over rear set up. I'd build my links since stock has 0 adjustability. I have no probs with the fab work and like I said the rear end was cheap. I got the frame, both axles, t case, 4l65e and basicaly all but harness, cab, rims and 6.0. It was in a fire but all my fluids look good, Trans fluid is clean all plastic connectors are good, some obvious seals are shot but axle should be fine. Pulled diff cover off e locker functions when powered with battery pack anyways providing I can verify the axle housing is strait which it appears to be I think this would be a great axle for a 4 link set up. The 10 bolt will not last long I blew one to shreds in my suburban 7 hours from home. I know I'm living on borrowed time with 416 Cubes and almost a 31" overall wheel hight on my 2wd street fighter. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Reasons to, or to not, move forward with this? I've done some searching and haven't found anyone doing this with the intentions of street use. I've read about possibly doing so for 4x4 trucks but for serious off road use the link set up isn't ideal when considering lifted trucks, big tires etc.. All things that are irrelevant to my projected use.

Last edited by LSrBEST; 06-06-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

So I didnt read most of that. Paragraphs and line breaks would really help out with the idea shifts and project descriptions.

Anyway, I have an H2 axle under my Tahoe, probably the best thing Ive done with it drivetrain beef wise. Since it bolts into the Sub (some things to change) and the Sub is broke, my suggestion is to put it under the Sub. I run H2 rear, adapters up front and PYOs all around on the Tahoe. Use the H2 sway bar too, the other ones hit the 9.5" diff cover

I would think a junkyard 9.5 SF and a 4 link kit are a better choice for the pickup, because you only have to cut 2 perches off and you can put link tabs anywhere on the tubes after that. The H2 9.5, if the bracket geo doesnt work for you, is going to be a pain in the butt to cut those off and move them

Old 06-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Yeah, I tried to read the rambling above and couldn't hang. I actually logged off trying to wrap my head around just part of it.

You working on an actual truck or a suburban?

An H2 is basically the same thing as a Tahoe Chassis wise, it just uses 3/4 ton components.

Want to know where to look for a linked suburban frame? Avalanche. I bet it uses the same floor mounts as a suburban in the rear section. It's also linked like the Tahoe too.

If you wanted to go for that factory look that's what I would look into. In my opinion, if your doing a suburban you can probably find better geometry for handling.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! ****. Sorry guys. I've got a bad habit of that. I don't realize I do it until someone calls me on it. To make things worse my devise I use (iPad) is cracked up with a gnarly black salamander looking spot that makes things ever tougher. since iPad works I'm too cheap to replace er.

The chassis with axles etc. was picked up because it was too cheap to pass up. First thoughts were using parts from it for the suburban, however that's a project I won't get to untill this 2wd Silverado is complete and it works as is at the moment (burb)

My Silverado project as mentioned, has evolved and I'm considering using the 14b for the Silverado. I'm wondering if anyone has done this swap or has any thoughts or input on why it' may be or not be a good idea. Not looking for a how to, just some feedback. I know the frames are close in size, width, cross braces and the usual **** one may have to work around. Seams like this would be a good way to get this truck handling/cornering well, launching better and make wheel hop a thing of the past while giving me a more reliable rear end, potentially for very little money.

I'm in the process of building my LCA's of which I'm planning to use coil overs when complete. While doing this, it had me putting some serious thought into the rear suspension since I have the axle laying around. Figured I'd see if anyone had anything to say good or bad on the idea. I didn't see much via Google searching other than 4x4 swaps..

At the end of the day, I like most, have more time than money. I see a stronger unit, proper gear ratio for my app, and a strong locking carrier sitting on the floor of the shop. It's almost screaming "use me!" Anyways thoughts?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:28 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

ok that makes more sense. you would be better off buying a kit and linking your truck.

Some one did try something similar on here and he abandoned the project. I will take a while but I will try and find it.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Found it... https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-build-523842/

Post 176 He decided to part it out.
Post 181 He Give reason behind it.
Post 186 he shows new ride everything gets swapped into.

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 06-07-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Added Post #'s for clarification