Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

01 sierra victim of speed shop catfish nightmare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 sierra victim of speed shop catfish nightmare?

Hey i need some help..i had thought that my tranny went with not really any signs before it just stopped going past 2nd gear.I sourced a replacement to keep me going with the intent of having original rebuilt then put it when done.same person who sold me the trans owns this supposed "speed shop" looked into it thought i was in good hands.1 day swap i was told.

issues start by 10am of first day after he came scanned my truck with his super scanner before i brought my truck in for the work.1st off its not motor he thought it would be&needs adapter for trans(no big deal i thought) as truck was a rebuild i bought 5yrs before and was rock solid for me the whole time.After a week i finally get it back after all of a sudden after it ready mid week truck needs a crank position sensor or it wont start for me.

As soon as i pick up my truck it feels completely different(much louder on start,feels labored on highway,not my truck at all)dont drive it all weekend,and then once to work monday(10 min drive)way home stops shifting again but this time sounds like motor is going to explode when it slips&revs up.

park it call him&explain issues ok its easy fix loose wire it sounds like.he picks up truck to fix as trans&work is warranteed by him.He starts with major leak my seals are gone(why no new seals when you put in?)then its a series of sensors that are problem not his trans at all as his super scanner can change gears manually just fine.&1 full week of him having my truck again goes by.various stories&issues during that week another week goes by now most any&all sensors have been accused&replaced.

During 3rd week of him having my truck&i ask whats up all of a sudden i get text whoever installed your remote start was an idiot&hes working hard to replace all wiring under dash to pcm as truck cant be "reprogrammed"unless he does(never consulted on this at all)

he supposedly"reprogrammed" it once tho after initial trans swap tho but all wiring is burnt/melted and hes had truck entire time since.end of fourth week when he makes joke about hope yor pcm isnt fried after all this.I say finish whatever your doing to wiring&return my truck ill take it to a proffessional if it that bad.Days later finally my truck is snuck back into my driveway and left there i only know because i look out window at one point&say hey looks like my truck.

I try it out next day still slips,sounds like farm truck&now i dont even have auto start anymore&i cant find any "new wiring" other than a few suspicious open ended wires not connected to anything other than new bad thoughts in my head.

Sorry for long post but its been a long twisted expensive journey for me that ended in a perfectly good solid gm being massacared in my opinion.Also i checked shift solenoids in original trans i got back on my return from his shop the 1st time and they appear to be just fine when test with multimeter so im guessing solenoids in newish trans are good(only a guess)&no finding of metal shavings.

If anybody has any ideas what has gone on or how i can fix?(at this stage im sad&not even sure if truckneeds trans shop work,electrical genius or maybe a wizard?

I loved my truck&now i dont even know what to do how could a simple trans swap turn into a month and such a series of issues when it was so reliable before it met "the butcher"

please all ideas are welcome
Old 05-29-2017, 04:05 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Needs adapter for trans to fit motor wtf
Old 05-29-2017, 04:46 PM

Yep he first said $35-50 which made me think it had to be for plug adapter?but it turned into a $150 price tag so for bolt pattern??would the super scanner not have told him my engine specifics initially?also i would think it would have some kind of idea if "every wire under the column was burnt&melted all the way to the pcm"...at very least i would thjink it would maybe be a little exclamation mark or a sad face emoji anything like that.Unfortunately i have not gotten a chance to use or see much of the real nice&expensive scanners to know for sure.(maybe him neither as i almost think he had maybe stolen it recently,not sure what to believe other than he got me good)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

My advice...find a reputable shop (ask around on here) & ditch the remote start crap. Never been anything but trouble in my experience. Sounds like an electrical issue to me if it happened suddenly. I had an ignition switch failure that fooled my tranny into not shifting past 3rd and would wind out the TC when it did shift.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:20 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Sounds like he needs his *** kicked
The following 2 users liked this post by Atomic:
Chrisbequick (11-24-2020), wretched73 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 11:27 PM

well in canada here remote start is somewhat of a need almost -40 hits i can push button go to work less likely to punch someone in the face for breathing.i still havent found any signs of new wires other than theres some more wires just danglin going nowhere wonder what those were supposed to do.
also remote start was in truck when i got 5yrs ago never gave me any issues either....its just as much the victim not the offender.well the battery on the 1 fob was dying&sometimes start button wouldnt work till i got pretty close but that was just good natured humour between friends.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Take it to another shop, have them find every single peoblem with it and make a written list.
Then part it out.
You will be chasing unknown problems for ever with that truck now that he has hack n slashed hos way through it.
But first take him to small claims court to get your money back plus cash fpr the extended time the truck was in his posession.
Mechanics like him dont do jobs like that to just one person, its a constant ossue with them doing it to many ppl.
Make the guy pay for his nonsense!
You can be sure that if he was to do the work and you didnt pay, he would take your truck!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

You mentioned you are from Canada, where abouts?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:29 AM

red deer,alberta