FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

walbro 450 enough?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
Little off topic. Is there not a way to get a signal when a pump goes dead. Like an idiot light? Seems like a good thing to have in a multi pump high horse power daily driver.
sure there is! There’s actually a few different ways, first on the electrical side you could use a simple relay to make sure your secondary pump is actually getting power. Second on the fuel pressure side, you can run a fuel pressure safety switch on your secondary pump. Plus on your turbo setup, either of these could be wired into your electronic boost controller solenoid, so if your secondary pump fails the wastegate can automatically go to spring pressure. No need for a light, chances are at that much power you’re not gonna be fast enough for a light.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Finally got my pump setup done..
Walbro 450
Quantum 255
Drilled out the venturi larger and connected the return to it.
Racetronix rewire kit.

Now i'm starting to second guess myself. I'm going e-85 and i knew i'd want alot of power later on so I wanted to make sure i had enough fuel. I'm second guessing myself because i wired both pumps on all the time. My adjustable FPR is keeping up just fine but i'm noticing the fuse holder for the rewire kit is getting pretty warm. I'm sure due to two pumps pulling amperage together. Did i make a mistake wiring them together?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
Little off topic. Is there not a way to get a signal when a pump goes dead. Like an idiot light? Seems like a good thing to have in a multi pump high horse power daily driver.
There is a way:
Put a 50 Amp shunt in the ground wire to the PAIR of fuel pumps ( one shunt ) connect a cheap digital panel METER to the shunt, which will then directly read amps.
With manifold pressure referenced fuel pressure regulator, you will get a climbing AMP reading as FUEL pump pressure increases, and a minimum reading at cruise/ decel.\ What ever the regular numbers are, let us say 30 amps at full line pressure, 20 amps or so at idle with TWO pumps running, if one pump dies, the AMP reading will drop instantly.