FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

TECHRON, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc... Benefit or BS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default TECHRON, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc... Benefit or BS

Old timers always ran " Top Oil " in the ancient long stroke, side valve engines.
Piston aircraft operators are STILL using Marvel Mystery Oil , buying it by the gallon.

Is there any benefit to adding half a pint of Snake Oil to the fuel tank in a modern, fuel injected automobile ?
I use TECHRON in all of my modern vehicles, full bottle each oil change.
We have no ' name brand" detergent gasoline nearby, so I use the TECHRON to keep the fuel injectors clear... Am I wasting my money ?

. Can I buy the magic ingredient in TECHRON cheaper by the 5 gallon pail ?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:46 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Chevron gas with Techron additive is good stuff. You will see the difference when you disassemble an engine.

Pure TECHRON is not available by itself unless you work at a chevron refinery and can sneak it out the door...

That being said techron injector cleaner you are buying has a small amount of pure techron in it. I am not sure how much or how efficent it is though.

I have been using Berrymans B-12 additive once every oil change as it its cheaper than Seafoam and seems to have a similar effectiveness.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally like BG 44k
Old 02-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Wheatley
I personally like BG 44k
Good stuff if you can get it. Unfortunately you have to be a shop or know someone.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I have been using Berrymans B-12 additive once every oil change as it its cheaper than Seafoam and seems to have a similar effectiveness.
That stuff is magic in a can, but I've never used it through the fuel system. I can imagine it would be very effective, though.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Good stuff if you can get it. Unfortunately you have to be a shop or know someone.
BG 44K can be tough to find locally but I wonder if it's tougher for you because you're in California. Here in Texas, you used to be able to just walk into a Carquest or other "decent" parts house (mind you before Carquest was bought out by Advance) and buy the old school peel-top cans with no issue. A few years later I had to seek out a shop that carried the stuff, and could buy it from them, but in bottles. That shop is gone now, though.

BG is top quality stuff though generally the shops that use it are buying it in larger quantities and have a fixture called VIA that allows them to pump it directly through the fuel rail for a thorough cleaning. They have a separate product intended for cleaning fuel injected vehicles, instead of "BG 44K" it's "BG Fuel Injection System Cleaner" - their application notes that you use the FI cleaner first, delivered through their VIA tool, to pre-soften crusty deposits before you use BG 44K. I suspect this two-chemical approach is what you would have to do with the crazy deposits these direct injection engines are getting now.

You can score BG 44K from Amazon, $19 a can shipped, with Prime. About what I used to pay years ago walking into a Carquest, so at least the price hasn't gone stupid with inflation. Or score a 6 pack for $82 which works out to just under $14/can, nice savings.

Sorry to sound like a BG commercial. I love their stuff! Grab some and dump it into your tank with a funnel.

Richard
Old 02-15-2018, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Every other oil change I pour a can of SeaFoam in my crankcase about 30min before the oil is changed.

I run a few errands, get in it hard a few times, drain it and fill it up.

When I did my cam swap last month, the top of the heads looked brand new.

When I changed my oil pan gasket last year, the windage tray looked new.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wheatley
I personally like BG 44k
I’ve used it as well sourced from a small shop a couple of buddies I know have an all English, I know, shop but at least they swap v8’s into MG’ lol...
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by someotherguy
BG 44K can be tough to find locally but I wonder if it's tougher for you because you're in California. Here in Texas, you used to be able to just walk into a Carquest or other "decent" parts house (mind you before Carquest was bought out by Advance) and buy the old school peel-top cans with no issue. A few years later I had to seek out a shop that carried the stuff, and could buy it from them, but in bottles. That shop is gone now, though.

BG is top quality stuff though generally the shops that use it are buying it in larger quantities and have a fixture called VIA that allows them to pump it directly through the fuel rail for a thorough cleaning. They have a separate product intended for cleaning fuel injected vehicles, instead of "BG 44K" it's "BG Fuel Injection System Cleaner" - their application notes that you use the FI cleaner first, delivered through their VIA tool, to pre-soften crusty deposits before you use BG 44K. I suspect this two-chemical approach is what you would have to do with the crazy deposits these direct injection engines are getting now.

You can score BG 44K from Amazon, $19 a can shipped, with Prime. About what I used to pay years ago walking into a Carquest, so at least the price hasn't gone stupid with inflation. Or score a 6 pack for $82 which works out to just under $14/can, nice savings.

Sorry to sound like a BG commercial. I love their stuff! Grab some and dump it into your tank with a funnel.

Richard
I don't believe it was a CA thing.

I Believe it's just because they tried to be a professional use only type product and they push it in shops and dealers. Occasionally I see a Van in my area making his rounds.

I believe at 1 point it was available through some parts stores here as well. But as the bigger companies come in and take over they only sell who ever gives them the best deal with the largest profit margins...
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 401 Likes on 316 Posts

It's all over the marine industry, my buddy bought the injector cleaning system. Pretty neat stuff...

Quick Reply: TECHRON, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc... Benefit or BS