FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

New Bolt In Twin Pump Option for 99-18 Trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:25 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Drop In Twin Pump Option for 99-18 Trucks!

Rick's Tanks out of Texas is in the process of stepping into the late model GM truck fuel pump market. They have a bolt in aluminum fuel bucket and hat assembly that will allow for twin pumps without having to cut or modify the factory bucket. Bucket capacity is roughly 1/2 gallon without the pumps installed with the feed line refilling it. The hat has 3 ports, 2 feed and 1 return and a provision for the fuel pressure sensor. The buckets will also have a bracket to install the factory fuel level sensor.. Here are few photos:

Support will be provided for the following vehicles::

99-03 Trucks (needs bolt in ring kit P/N 27000 Ring Kit, or 04-07 Classic tank swap)
04-06 Trucks Direct Drop In
07-13 Trucks Direct Drop In
14-18 Trucks Direct Drop In

There will be two options for buyers:
1) Bare bucket assembly is $450 (includes the labor to install user supplied pumps of their choice)
2) Bucket assembly with dual 450's installed is $850 (requires the use of your old fuel level sender)

*If a 99-03 tank is used, the bolt in ring kit (PN 27000 is $237) is required which requires cutting and modification of the existing tank.

There is not currently a provision for the evap line in the hat (not enough space). so I plan on installing on the filler neck with an NPT fitting.

I should have the bucket by next week, and will share pictures and dimensions as well as the install.

I think this is going to be a great way to upgrade to twin pumps without having fuel starvation issues and/or installing bulkheads.

Sharing a few photos.

Last edited by Last Call; 08-02-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:42 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Very nice! Only complaint is what to do about tank venting. Without a vent, it will be near impossible to fill up at the gas station in under an hour. If you have to modify the fill line as such, it would be nice if that were included or mentioned (by Rick, you mentioned it of course).
The following 2 users liked this post by Atomic:
92SS Wagon (08-03-2018), GoatChs (12-05-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Very nice! Only complaint is what to do about tank venting. Without a vent, it will be near impossible to fill up at the gas station in under an hour. If you have to modify the fill line as such, it would be nice if that were included or mentioned (by Rick, you mentioned it of course).
Yup... My complaint is the exact same thing. I have a full 1/2" feed coming out of the top of my stock buckets lid and maintained all the Evap function down to the stock connections and the pressure transducer with dual 450's inside. The electrical is honestly kind of meh too.... Looks like a very nicely made piece but it could use some improvements.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Don't see those screw connects not seizing and turning to **** either. For almost $1k, it could be a little better IMO.

What will dual 450s support boosted? 7-800whp?
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 AM

I chatted with Rick earlier and he has a few ideas he will be exploring. If you have ideas how to make this work better, please let me know.

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Yup... My complaint is the exact same thing. I have a full 1/2" feed coming out of the top of my stock buckets lid and maintained all the Evap function down to the stock connections and the pressure transducer with dual 450's inside. The electrical is honestly kind of meh too.... Looks like a very nicely made piece but it could use some improvements.
The hat has a fitting for the fuel pressure sensor. I will probably install the evap in the filler neck and see how that works out.

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Don't see those screw connects not seizing and turning to **** either. For almost $1k, it could be a little better IMO.

What will dual 450s support boosted? 7-800whp?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Would you prefer the factory connector as opposed to the screw contacts?

I think dual 450's should be good for about 1,000-1100rwhp on E85 and 1,300-1400rwhp on gas at 58 psi.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:14 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Call
I chatted with Rick earlier and he has a few ideas he will be exploring. If you have ideas how to make this work better, please let me know.
Come with something like this already installed: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220020/overview/

People should know they are going to get a gas smell with a pure vent. To some that is fine if they deleted all the Evap stuff, but the sensitive Sallys probably want a way to tie into the stock EVAP system so they dont have fill issues or gas smell.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks good, but some sort of integrated weather pack connector would be a better option instead of the screw terminals.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
Looks good, but some sort of integrated weather pack connector would be a better option instead of the screw terminals.
Weatherpack/ GT150/ Molex/ Amphenol; take your pick! Anything but phillips screws that can seize/corrode/strip. Especially since so much junk collects on top of the tank.

Personally, I'd like to see GT150s because our trucks use them already and they can handle a lot more current than most of the weatherpacks
Old 08-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Rick shared a few photos with me on progress, I will post them when I get a chance. A slight change in plans that will retain factory evap functionality. The pumps will be merged via a Y in the bucket with a single feed fitting. That will free of the aux port on the bucket hat for evap use.

Come with something like this already installed: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220020/overview/

People should know they are going to get a gas smell with a pure vent. To some that is fine if they deleted all the Evap stuff, but the sensitive Sallys probably want a way to tie into the stock EVAP system so they dont have fill issues or gas smell.
Thanks for sharing the link to the valve, that is pretty cool. I definitely don't want the fuel smell. I think the solution above will solve this.

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Weatherpack/ GT150/ Molex/ Amphenol; take your pick! Anything but phillips screws that can seize/corrode/strip. Especially since so much junk collects on top of the tank.

Personally, I'd like to see GT150s because our trucks use them already and they can handle a lot more current than most of the weatherpacks
I believe the GT150 connectors are rated at 14-15 amps. At 4 bar pressure (58 psi) and 13.5 volts, the 450 is drawing roughly 17 amps. A boost referenced regulator can push pressure to 60-65, and amp draw would be 18-19 amps. Perhaps there are other connectors available, but the GT150 might not be the most appropriate one.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Voltage vs amp draw from Walbro:

Quick Reply: New Bolt In Twin Pump Option for 99-18 Trucks!