FUEL SYSTEMS For things such as pumps, lines, set-ups, line routing, fuel cell mounting, etc.,etc....all fuel related discussions!

Injectors being sucked into intake.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injectors being sucked into intake.

So heres the deal. I am running a tbss intake with holley rails and custom brackets that I have made. I was having a issue with the lower injector o-rings popping out of the injector bore down into the intake and obviously causing a vacuum/ boost leak. So I decided to make some new brackets that had the injectors sitting up higher to prevent this. Well now I had one injector pop out of the rail and spray fuel everywhere, so it appears that the vacuum from the intake is pulling the injectors down some. Has anyone ever experienced this? I went ahead and ordered these new e85 compatible o-rings Bosch Viton O-Rings EV14 Multi Fuel for ID FIC Deatsch 8 Injector Kit | eBay thinking that maybe my old ones are shot and thats whats allowing them to be sucked down.
Also, what really prevents the lower injector o-rings from being pulled out of the injector bore other than friction from the o-rings? Theres not really any lip inside the bore that would stop the lower o-ring from sliding down.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

The o-ring is powerfully retained by the flange on the injector. Do your injectors look different than this?
Attached Thumbnails Injectors being sucked into intake.-img_20170902_191109939.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

This might be a dumb statement but the O ring goes over that lip/flange area and not below it. Could that be your issue?

O ring installed above raised lip/flange.

Chad
Old 10-07-2017, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss4chad
This might be a dumb statement but the O ring goes over that lip/flange area and not below it. Could that be your issue?

O ring installed above raised lip/flange.

Chad
No thats not my issue haha. The issue is that when the injector is fully seated and bottomed out in the intake as far as it can go, the edge of the lower o-ring starts to pop out of the bottom of the intake. What I ended up doing (and this is kind of ghetto rigged) was putting a second o-ring above the lower one right where the injector bottoms out. It just takes up slack and prevents the injector from sliding down any further into the intake.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:38 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

LS1 style and LS3 style intakes use different size orings, you sure you are using the right ones?
Old 11-05-2017, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, they are the right size o-rings. I am thinking about just going back to using the factory rails so that I can retain the injector clips to eliminate this issue. What do you all thing about running a dead head return style fuel system and will the factory rails be able to flow enough fuel for 600-700hp on e85? And by dead head return style I am referring to having the fuel pressure regulator before the fuel rail and then having the feed line connect to the factory fuel rail.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Launching!

The factory tbss manifold should have positive stops to prevent that from happening. there should be no way in heck that the injector gets sucked into the manifold.

Did someone drill out the injector holes in the manifold? Sounds very strange.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You know what’s crazy, I️ ran some id1000 injectors for a while and never had a problem, then I️ swapped some id1050x injectors in and had a couple of them spray fuel all over the engine when getting on it! Really strange because I️ measured them and they’re identical to the id1000 injectors, but it’s lije somehow the injectors were going to far into the intake manifold (TBSS). The id1000 used the stock Injector retaining clips and the Id1050x injectors didn’t? Never really found a solution... it just hasn’t leaked after I put them back in last time?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ken in AZ
The factory tbss manifold should have positive stops to prevent that from happening. there should be no way in heck that the injector gets sucked into the manifold.

Did someone drill out the injector holes in the manifold? Sounds very strange.
Nope. Bone stock factory intake. I bet that most people don't even know about the issue. You really can't tell there's an issue unless you pull the intake manifold off after its been ran and look into the runner to see part of the injector o-ring partially out of the injector boss. This is what it looks like with the injector bottomed all the way out in the Intake.